Gary Neville’s EA Sports Column: On Adam Lallana’s World Cup chances, and Mourinho’s ‘toothless’ Chelsea
- April 4, 2014
English football’s top pundit in many people’s opinions, England coach Gary Neville now writes a fortnightly column for EA Sports, in which he discusses the general themes of the day.
Below are a pair of extracts from G Nev’s latest column, on Lalllana and Chelsea.
On Adam Lallana’s World Cup chances:
You could say that Southampton are in the same safe position too but they’re playing particularly well and you could argue that the English players there are wanting to impress ahead of the World Cup.
One of those players is Adam Lallana and what I’ve seen in him is real intelligence.
His intelligence and awareness is aligned with hard work and a good attitude. I have to say watching him last season he showed glimpses of quality, but now watching him he shows those glimpses of quality in most games. I have to say, he’s been really impressive this year, a real attraction. His goal last weekend was outstanding. He’s got two good feet. He holds on to the ball well. He keeps his head up, aware of his teammates. He’s got huge energy. He’s got an appetite for defending and dispossessing people. He’s had a really, really top season, he’s been a joy to watch.
On Chelsea’s current situation:
Think about Chelsea teams of the past, they always had Didier Drogba or they could call on Nicolas Anelka or Hernan Crespo.
You look at them now and they’re toothless. The mystery for me with Chelsea is what has happened to Demba Ba?
Does Mourinho not want to use him or give him a chance? I genuinely believe he can be a real handful from what I’ve seen of him in the Premier League. I don’t understand why he hasn’t been used as a striker at Chelsea when Fernando Torres is struggling and Samuel Eto’o is injured!
- Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger hits back at Gary Neville after claims he is arrogant (Vi...
- Gary Neville: Everyone thought Man United would buy a Sergio Ramos, defence looks weak ...
- Gary Neville argues that John Terry remains a lynchpin for Chelsea despite Man City sub...
- Manchester United fans pay tribute to Gary Neville’s late father, Neville (Video)
- Gary Neville & Jamie Carragher share hilarious “banter” whilst playing...
- Gary Neville says Jack Wilshere’s chant about Spurs was the best thing he’s...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...