Gary Neville blames Matt Jarvis for not diving for West Ham at Arsenal, says he lost his team a penalty [Video]
It may not have been politically correct, but Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville tore into Matt Jarvis’ honesty on Tuesday night for contributing to West Ham’s 3-1 defeat at Arsenal.
Before West Ham took the lead at the Emirates, the Hammers should have been awarded a penalty when Gunners right back Bacary Sagna kicked Jarvis in the knee in the host’s box.
Instead of hitting the deck like most players would have done in the circumstance, Jarvis chose to stay on his feet after being fouled by the Frenchman. Consequently, West Ham were never awarded a penalty and the Irons’ supporters were left to grumble in the wind.
Gary Neville blasted the West Ham winger on Sky Sports:
He should have gone down. Well done, your team haven’t won a game.
You can either be an angel and do what Matt Jarvis did and get a pat on the back off his Nan when he goes home tonight, or he can win his team a penalty.
The referee won’t give it if you don’t go down. Sam [Allardyce] said it, if you don’t go down you don’t get a penalty. It’s a foul.
I suppose in some ways people can say ‘It’s disappointing to hear you say that Gary’ – well then, be disappointed because ultimately that’s the game.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsene Wenger’s jungle analogy pre Arsenal v Middlesbrough (video)October 21, 2016
- Mesut Ozil’s brilliant flick after hat-trick & Arsenal win over Ludogorets (video)October 21, 2016
- FPL GW9: You simply have to go all in on ArsenalOctober 21, 2016
- Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsOctober 21, 2016
- Man United legend Gary Neville appears to make fun of Liverpool fans on social mediaOctober 18, 2016
- Jamie Carragher & Gary Neville contest brilliant Liverpool v Manchester United Quiz (Video)October 17, 2016
- Exclusive interview with Arsenal’s Shkodran MustafiOctober 17, 2016
- Banter flies as Neville & Carra reverse roles to pick Liverpool v Manchester United Dream XIs (Video)October 15, 2016
- Aaron Cresswell talks about his red card on his West Ham return v Palace (Video)October 15, 2016
- Crystal Palace v West Ham: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsOctober 13, 2016
- Michail Antonio drops off signed shirt to charity event after a match [Tweets]October 12, 2016
- West Ham get some ‘good’ news about Gokhan ToreOctober 11, 2016