Gary Lineker on Ridgewell’s penalty: ‘If that was someone like Liverpool’s Luis Suarez we’d be up in arms’
- November 25, 2012
Liverpool and Luis Suarez fans were rallying around Match of the Day host Gary Lineker on Saturday night after the silver-haired pundit made an interesting point during the post match analysis of Sunderland 2 – West Brom 4.
The Baggies moved into third in the Premier League with their win at the Stadium of Light, however the visitor’s third goal of the game, a penalty from Romelu Lukaku, was made hugely controversial by the manner in which the spot-kick was won.
The villain of the piece was Liam Ridgewel.
As could be seen clearly by the TV replays, Ridgewell duped the referee into award a spot-kick after the West Brom number 6 dived in the box near a non-contact challenge from Sunderland’s Adam Johnson.
Usually when diving incidents happen in the Premier League, particularly when they include the likes of Luis Suarez, everyone goes barmby. However on this occasion few people even bothered to raise an eyebrow: that was until Lineker made his remark on MOTD.
Watch Gary Lineker’s accurate Suarez-supporting quip below.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”262447″]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...