- Leo Messi writes tribute for ex Arsenal & Barcelona forward Thierry Henry on Facebook
- Brendan Rodgers praises Raheem Sterling & says Liverpool don’t have world class forwards [Video]
- Tottenham fans sing about Wembley after beating Newcastle 4-0 in QF [Video]
- Southampton preparing January move for Dutch Galatasaray star Wesley Sneijder [Mirror]
- Roy Keane confronted ex-Man United man Tom Cleverley over Aston Villa bust-up exit rumours [Sun]
Gareth Bale picks up a left thigh problem in Real Madrid’s warm up against Getafe, Isco stars instead
According to Marca, Sunday was Gareth Bale’s “broken dream”.
Real Madrid beat Getafe 4-1 on Sunday in La Liga, but the much of the pre-match hype was deflated minutes before kick-off as Gareth Bale pulled out of the team after picking up a thigh injury in the warm up.
As Bale ran around the Santiago Bernabeu pitch in preparation for what was expected to be his home debut, the Welshman was forced to retired himself from the contest after hurting his left leg while practicising his shooting.
While Bale’s injury is not thought to be too serious, Real’s medical staff took the decision to remove the $100 million man from the team and Isco was called upon as a last minute replacement.
Bales’ misfortune was Isco’s gain.
After joining from Malaga for £23m last summer, Isco showed why many Madrid fans considered the Spanish starlet to be their best acquisition in the summer as the midfielder stepped into the breach without fuss. The 21-year-old scored Real’s third of the night, and he was arguably the star performer for the hosts.
Footage of Gareth Bale in Real Madrid’s warm up against Getafe is below, together with Isco’s individual highlights from the game.
- Updated: September 23, 2013