- Arsene Wenger confirms Gabriel Paulista signing is imminent, no work permit issue [Video]
- Arsenal Superfan Moh hails Tomas Rosicky after FA Cup win over Brighton [Video]
- Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger on FA Cup favourites tag: ‘Manchester United might go through’ (!) [Video]
- Claude & Ty BFFs after Arsenal’s win over Brighton & Hove Albion! [Video]
- Spurs & Man United legend Teddy Sheringham scores lovely chip in Fernando Ricksen charity match
Galatasaray’s triple whammy after the ref wrongly believed Burak Yilmaz dived in the Real box
Galatasaray’s Champions League now hangs by a thread.
The Turkish powerhouse were roundly played off the park at the Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday night as Real Madrid romped to a deserved 3-0 win in front of their home faithful.
Yet amid the well-earned win for the Spaniards, Galatasaray supporters had their blood boiled by a terrible, triple whammy decision against their side in the second half.
With 12 minutes left in the match, Gala’s top Champions League scorer Burak Yilmaz came crashing down in the Madrid box under a challenge from Sergio Ramos. Yilmaz was claiming a penalty, but Norwegian referee Svein Moen was having none of it.
Referee Moen, who must have believed that Yilmaz was trying to con his side a spot-kick, instantly issued the Galatasaray attacker with a yellow card. That booking had a three-pronged negative effect as: (1) Galatasaray never won the penalty, (2) it insinuated that Yilmaz was a cheat and (3) it ensured that Yilmaz will be out of the return leg in Istanbul due to suspension.
The referee got it wrong. Badly.
TV replays showed that Ramos had indeed stamped on Yilmaz’s foot as the duo jostled for the ball in the Madrid box. Moreover, Ramos was spotted wagging his head at the officials decision as even he realised that Galatasaray had been handed an injustice.
Picture evidence and a video of Ramos’ foul on Yilmaz can be seen below.
- Updated: April 4, 2013