- Rumours abound that Falcao will start for Man United against Chelsea [Tweets]
- Thibaut Courtois has achieved a lot in his career since his debut six years ago
- This graphic shows Louis van Gaal’s stunning influence over top level European football
- Louis van Gaal says that both Jose Mourinho and him live to win titles [Video]
- Gent attacker Nicklas Pedersen hit a sensational volley versus Standard Liege [GIF]
Galatasaray’s triple whammy after the ref wrongly believed Burak Yilmaz dived in the Real box
- April 4, 2013
Galatasaray’s Champions League now hangs by a thread.
The Turkish powerhouse were roundly played off the park at the Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday night as Real Madrid romped to a deserved 3-0 win in front of their home faithful.
Yet amid the well-earned win for the Spaniards, Galatasaray supporters had their blood boiled by a terrible, triple whammy decision against their side in the second half.
With 12 minutes left in the match, Gala’s top Champions League scorer Burak Yilmaz came crashing down in the Madrid box under a challenge from Sergio Ramos. Yilmaz was claiming a penalty, but Norwegian referee Svein Moen was having none of it.
Referee Moen, who must have believed that Yilmaz was trying to con his side a spot-kick, instantly issued the Galatasaray attacker with a yellow card. That booking had a three-pronged negative effect as: (1) Galatasaray never won the penalty, (2) it insinuated that Yilmaz was a cheat and (3) it ensured that Yilmaz will be out of the return leg in Istanbul due to suspension.
The referee got it wrong. Badly.
TV replays showed that Ramos had indeed stamped on Yilmaz’s foot as the duo jostled for the ball in the Madrid box. Moreover, Ramos was spotted wagging his head at the officials decision as even he realised that Galatasaray had been handed an injustice.
Picture evidence and a video of Ramos’ foul on Yilmaz can be seen below.