France flex muscles by smashing Switzerland; Benzema and Giroud score in 5-2 rout [Tweets]
- June 20, 2014
Benzema has been involved in 5 of France's 8 goals in this World Cup: 3 goals and 2 assists.
— SB (@Realmadridplace) June 20, 2014
While nobody dared called Group E particularly tough before the tournament began, we didn’t expect France to push aside opponents with such ease.
Having taken care of Honduras without much trouble, France followed up that victory with a stunning 5-2 win over Switzerland tonight.
Despite a late rally from Switzerland, it’s hard not to be impressed by how France dismantled their opponents; five different players getting on the scoresheet.
Giroud, Matuidi, Valbuena, Benzema and Sissoko scored for the French, who look certain to top the group. Switzerland replied with Dzemaili and Xhaka scoring nice goals.
But Twitter gushed over only one team.
2 Swiss goals in 5 minutes at #WorldCup2014. Do we have a game? not even close. France 5, Swiss 2. It was proof Swiss were actually alive,
— Raf Casert (@rcasert) June 20, 2014
The 3 forwards in France's starting 11 all scored. So did the 2 box-to-box midfielders. The holding midfielder hit the bar.
— Richard Jolly (@RichJolly) June 20, 2014
France 5 – 2 Suisse pic.twitter.com/tBYUgRPHOL
— Paul Pogba (@paulpogba) June 20, 2014
Sakho goes off with 24 minutes to go and France concede 2 goals, after conceding 0 in their previous 156 minutes this World Cup. Beast.
— Joseph Musker (@Musker_LFC) June 20, 2014
I don't even know how else to describe this match. France just showed why they've come back with vengeance. FRAvsSUI pic.twitter.com/zqtN85gNQF
— Anup Kaphle (@AnupKaphle) June 20, 2014
Oprah must be in France you get a goal You get a goal. You get a goal. You get a goal pic.twitter.com/BOGeMqh24f
— Bailey LA Kings (@BaileyLAKings) June 20, 2014
"My girlfriend backed France to win the World Cup after that friendly they won." "Jamaica?" "No, I said it was a daft idea."
— Matthew Stanger (@MatthewStanger) June 20, 2014
France imperious on the counter attack tonight. Deschamps with a tactical masterclass.
— Joseph Barton (@Joey7Barton) June 20, 2014
France looking at Switzerland's defence like.. pic.twitter.com/WNo3eJQZf7
— Not Match of the Day (@NOT_MOTD) June 20, 2014
Switzerland to France right now… pic.twitter.com/yL30k3lQ8m
— The Sports Quotient (@SportsQuotient) June 20, 2014
France 5-0 up against a team ranked 6th in the world. Say what you like about the FIFA rankings but Switzerland aren't bad. Far from it
— James Horncastle (@JamesHorncastle) June 20, 2014
- Tottenham’s Hugo Lloris had more 1st half touches than Arsenal’s Olivier Gi...
- Belgium release brilliant fan footage of game v France [Video]
- Ex Chelsea star Florent Malouda picks incredible Fantasy XI made up of former team-mate...
- Marouane Fellaini steals the show as Belgium beat France in a 4-3 thriller [Official Hi...
- Tottenham’s Belgian players try to act in silly promo for France friendly [Video]
- France beat Germany 4-1 to win the U17 European Championships [Video]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...