Former Liverpool player Vladimir Smicer is standing in the Czech European elections to fight fat kids
- May 13, 2014
Who remembers Vladimir Smicer?
Now 40, Smicer was a Liverpool player for six seasons from 2009-2005, and the Czech Republic star is now hoping to turn his fame into political points.
Smicer has been named among 25 candidates standing for an obscure Czech party called Vize 2014 (Vision 2014), in a bid to get elected to the European Parliament.
In truth, Smicer is less interested for a career witch as an MEP compared to his wish to see obesity handled in his homeland.
The BBC quote Smicer saying:
It’s not my ambition to be an MEP.
In the Czech Republic obesity rates among children have quadrupled in the last 15 year. More than half of the adult population of the EU are overweight or obese. Amongst children it’s one in seven. I see it in the kids around me. Fitness isn’t ‘in’.
We’ve got to get our kids away from their computers, tablets and smartphones and get them moving. This is something Europe needs to care about.
Vladimir Smicer will always be remembered as a Liverpool legend after his goal in the historic European Cup final against AC Milan in 2005.
- Lazar Markovic set to quit Liverpool this season to move to Turkey on loan [Echo]
- Luis Suarez names his favourite Premier League player, and it’s a former Liverpoo...
- Mario Balotelli didn’t know one of his Liverpool teammates despite having played ...
- Jordon Ibe scores his own volley at Liverpool training (Video)
- Daniel Sturridge celebrates return to Liverpool training with several Instagram posts
- Injury-plagued Daniel Sturridge returned to Liverpool training on Thursday (Pictures)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...