- Liverpool target Aston Villa’s Fabian Delph as Steven Gerrard replacement [Mirror]
- Eden Hazard agrees £52m Chelsea deal taking him through to 2020 [Sun]
- FC United of Manchester sing songs for Eric Cantona and The Busby Babes [Video]
- Jose Mourinho tells Talksport he was ‘inches away’ from signing Thierry Henry – for Barça!
- Spurs’ Emmanuel Adebayor posts tribute to Thierry Henry with picture of pair from Arsenal days
Former Birmingham & Ecuador international Christian “Chucho” Benitez dies, aged 27
Shocking news on Monday afternoon: Christian “Chucho” Benitez has died aged just 27.
Christian Benitez died in Qatar.
There are conflicting early reports to how Benitez died. Some say the striker died as a result from a car crash, while his father in law is said to have reported it was medical complications from appendicitis that became peritonitis and complications led to a cardiac arrest.
Benitez leaves behind his wife and his boy and girl three-years-old twins.
Benitez won the Mexican league with Club America in the Clausura 2013 tournament, and ended up as the top goal scorer with 17 strikes. Overall, Benítez scored 52 goals in 79 games after joining Club America in 2011.
Incredibly, Benitez had just completed a $15 million move to Qatari side El Jaish.
Christian Benitez posted his last Tweet on May 1st, his birthday, with the comment “My two loves and me with my birthday cake”.
Mis dos amores y yo con la torta de mi cumpleaños. pic.twitter.com/yLCnnZdxEm
— Chucho Benítez (@Chucho_B11) May 1, 2013
Manchester United winger, and Ecuadorian international teammate, Antonio Valencia, has been quick to react to the shocking news on Twitter writing a series of comments including “Brother please tell someone to please not”.
Hermano por favor alguien que lo diga que no por favor pic.twitter.com/1Qj3SiyXNq
— Antonio Valencia (@7AntoV) July 29, 2013
Below are two video from Ecuador showing how local TV channels broke the news on live air.
- Updated: July 29, 2013