Forget 3rd – are Belgium the most expensive national team in world football?
- September 7, 2013
In the build-up to Scotland’s World Cup qualifier with Belgium on Friday night, many English papers referred to a study carried out by Belgian daily daily newspaper La Dernière Heure, who calculated that, in terms of transfer fees, Wilmots’s starting XI was, at €180m, the third most expensive national team in the world, behind only Brazil and Portugal.
Considering this was before Witsel’s €40 million move to Zenit, and that Villa’s Christian Benteke is valued at a mere £7m – he’s worth at an estimate €29 million now – the question can reasonably be asked – taking current values, are Les Diable Rouges actually the most expensive team in world football?
Scotland manager Gordon Strachan think so, and refers to it in his post-match interview on the clip below.
[gthumb id=”351836″ size=”large” autoplay=”1″]
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...