For Shame: France crowd whistle Mathieu Valbuena in Paris because…he plays for Marseille (France – Australia)
- October 12, 2013
So much for everyone getting behind the Tricolore.
There was a pretty bemusing and shameful moment during France’s 6-0 win over the Socceroos last night at the Parc des Princes.
When Mathieu ‘Little Bike’ Valbuena came on as a substitute, he was whistled by the largely Parisian crowd…because he plays for Marseille.
The location of the game was significant, with the Parc des Princes attracting a higher proportion of season ticket PSG fans, than would have been the case had the game been held at the Stade de France.
Valbuena was then whistled every time he touched the ball; and with last week’s Classique between PSG and Marseille still fresh in the mind, it seems many PSG fans put club allegiances ahead of country.
Arsene Wenger was embarrassed by it in commentary, as have been most French people, apart from the PSG minority.
Watch Valbuena being booed by his own countrymen, for no other reason than the fact he plays for Marseille, on the clip below.
[gthumb id=”364054″ size=”large” autoplay=”1″]
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]