For Shame: France crowd whistle Mathieu Valbuena in Paris because…he plays for Marseille (France – Australia)
- October 12, 2013
So much for everyone getting behind the Tricolore.
There was a pretty bemusing and shameful moment during France’s 6-0 win over the Socceroos last night at the Parc des Princes.
When Mathieu ‘Little Bike’ Valbuena came on as a substitute, he was whistled by the largely Parisian crowd…because he plays for Marseille.
The location of the game was significant, with the Parc des Princes attracting a higher proportion of season ticket PSG fans, than would have been the case had the game been held at the Stade de France.
Valbuena was then whistled every time he touched the ball; and with last week’s Classique between PSG and Marseille still fresh in the mind, it seems many PSG fans put club allegiances ahead of country.
Arsene Wenger was embarrassed by it in commentary, as have been most French people, apart from the PSG minority.
Watch Valbuena being booed by his own countrymen, for no other reason than the fact he plays for Marseille, on the clip below.
[gthumb id=”364054″ size=”large” autoplay=”1″]
- Tottenham’s Hugo Lloris had more 1st half touches than Arsenal’s Olivier Gi...
- Belgium release brilliant fan footage of game v France [Video]
- Ex Chelsea star Florent Malouda picks incredible Fantasy XI made up of former team-mate...
- Marouane Fellaini steals the show as Belgium beat France in a 4-3 thriller [Official Hi...
- Tottenham’s Belgian players try to act in silly promo for France friendly [Video]
- France beat Germany 4-1 to win the U17 European Championships [Video]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...