FIFA whittle Ballon d’Or 2012 list to 3: Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo & Andres Iniesta
- November 29, 2012
Sao Paulo was the setting today for a whole range of FIFA announcements including which three players were selected from the original 23 to win the Ballon d’Or for 2012.
Three players were whittled down and two of them will come as no surprise: Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo & the dark horse Andres Iniesta.
The winner, voted for by journalists as well as the captains and managers of national teams, will be unveiled in Zurich on January 7.
Having won the award already three times, Lionel Messi is yet again clear favourite for the Ballon d’Or of 2012.
Michel Platini added his voice to calls for Messi to win again: “Records are there to be beaten. If he wins it again, it’s because he deserves it. He’s still only 25 years old and has every opportunity to leave his mark for all eternity.”
Nevertheless, it wasn’t a glittering season of silverware for Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo claimed La Liga and impressed for Portugal at Euro 2012.
Whilst Iniesta has been in incredible form and was the player of Euro 2012 as Spain sauntered to victory.
Have your say in the comments and in the poll for who you think should win the Ballon d’Or 2012.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...