FIFA whittle Ballon d’Or 2012 list to 3: Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo & Andres Iniesta
- November 29, 2012
Sao Paulo was the setting today for a whole range of FIFA announcements including which three players were selected from the original 23 to win the Ballon d’Or for 2012.
Three players were whittled down and two of them will come as no surprise: Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo & the dark horse Andres Iniesta.
The winner, voted for by journalists as well as the captains and managers of national teams, will be unveiled in Zurich on January 7.
Having won the award already three times, Lionel Messi is yet again clear favourite for the Ballon d’Or of 2012.
Michel Platini added his voice to calls for Messi to win again: “Records are there to be beaten. If he wins it again, it’s because he deserves it. He’s still only 25 years old and has every opportunity to leave his mark for all eternity.”
Nevertheless, it wasn’t a glittering season of silverware for Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo claimed La Liga and impressed for Portugal at Euro 2012.
Whilst Iniesta has been in incredible form and was the player of Euro 2012 as Spain sauntered to victory.
Have your say in the comments and in the poll for who you think should win the Ballon d’Or 2012.
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]