FIFA President Sepp Blatter ‘surprised’ that Lionel Messi won the World Cup Golden Ball [Video]
- July 14, 2014
There was a pretty blatant act of corrupt cronyism at play at the World Cup last night, but for once Sepp Blatter can’t be accused of any involvement.
There was much stupefication when it emerged that Lionel Messi had won the Player of the Tournament, despite being on the periphery in the final two games.
Many pointed the finger at Adidas the tournament and award sponsor, though it wasn’t as simple as that either, with the award being voted for by an independent committee (featuring Gerard Houllier).
Blatter himself expressed his surprise at the awarding of Messi, thereby distancing himself from the voting procedure and any responsibility:
Shall I be diplomatic or tell you the truth?
“I was a little bit surprised when I saw Messi coming up to collect the best player of the competition.”
“But if you compare the beginning of the tournament and why the Argentina team got into the final, Messi’s goals were decisive.
It can’t be said that his goals weren’t decisive.‘
- Leo Messi’s school in Rosario honour the Barca star with giant hand-painted tribu...
- “Eternal friend”: Diego Maradona posts about re-uniting with England-Argent...
- Man United & Man City stars selected for Argentina’s latest squad, Erik Lame...
- What. A. Goal. Substitute Eric Aparicio nets incredible long range golazo v Lanus (Video)
- Manchester United will sign Argentina number one Sergio Romero this weekend (ESPN)
- Matías Messi defends brother Leo from Argentina critics on Twitter
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...