FIFA President Sepp Blatter ‘surprised’ that Lionel Messi won the World Cup Golden Ball [Video]
There was a pretty blatant act of corrupt cronyism at play at the World Cup last night, but for once Sepp Blatter can’t be accused of any involvement.
There was much stupefication when it emerged that Lionel Messi had won the Player of the Tournament, despite being on the periphery in the final two games.
Many pointed the finger at Adidas the tournament and award sponsor, though it wasn’t as simple as that either, with the award being voted for by an independent committee (featuring Gerard Houllier).
Blatter himself expressed his surprise at the awarding of Messi, thereby distancing himself from the voting procedure and any responsibility:
Shall I be diplomatic or tell you the truth?
“I was a little bit surprised when I saw Messi coming up to collect the best player of the competition.”
“But if you compare the beginning of the tournament and why the Argentina team got into the final, Messi’s goals were decisive.
It can’t be said that his goals weren’t decisive.‘
Watch Live Stream
- The Argentinian press continue to hammer Leo Messi, ask questions about his injury (Video)September 8, 2016
- Barcelona legend Leo Messi explains why he decided to dye his hair blondeSeptember 4, 2016
- Venezuela v Argentina: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-09-06September 3, 2016
- Lionel Messi insists that he wasn’t deceiving anyone with his Argentina retirement (Video)September 3, 2016
- Lionel Messi thanks Borussia Monchengladbach for get well message on FacebookSeptember 23, 2016
- The moment Lionel Messi picked up a groin strain against Atletico Madrid (Video)September 22, 2016
- Barcelona confirm Leo Messi is out for 3 weeks with groin injurySeptember 21, 2016
- Pep Guardiola: Leo Messi sits on football’s top table by himself (Video)September 17, 2016