FIFA President Sepp Blatter ‘surprised’ that Lionel Messi won the World Cup Golden Ball [Video]
- July 14, 2014
There was a pretty blatant act of corrupt cronyism at play at the World Cup last night, but for once Sepp Blatter can’t be accused of any involvement.
There was much stupefication when it emerged that Lionel Messi had won the Player of the Tournament, despite being on the periphery in the final two games.
Many pointed the finger at Adidas the tournament and award sponsor, though it wasn’t as simple as that either, with the award being voted for by an independent committee (featuring Gerard Houllier).
Blatter himself expressed his surprise at the awarding of Messi, thereby distancing himself from the voting procedure and any responsibility:
Shall I be diplomatic or tell you the truth?
“I was a little bit surprised when I saw Messi coming up to collect the best player of the competition.”
“But if you compare the beginning of the tournament and why the Argentina team got into the final, Messi’s goals were decisive.
It can’t be said that his goals weren’t decisive.‘
- The Master: Lionel Messi’s amazing dribbling skills regularly floor opponents [Vi...
- Man United’s Angel Di Maria shows off his rabona skills in a new ad for Coca-Cola...
- Leo Messi went on another insanely brilliant run during Argentina rout of Paraguay [GIF...
- Argentina 6 – Paraguay 1: Angel Di Maria (2) & Sergio Aguero score in the ro...
- Incredible Odds! Argentina are an enormous 6/1 to beat Paraguay!!!
- Marcos Rojo reckons Angel Di Maria is the most talented player at Man United
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi