FIFA have rejected the appeal of Liverpool’s Luis Suarez against his ban
- July 10, 2014
FIFA have rejected the appeal of Liverpool’s Luis Suarez against his ban for biting Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup, thus rendering his initial punishment of a four month ban plus a nine game international ban intact.
The news is not expected to impact Suarez’s impending transfer from Liverpool to FC Barcelona, however it will no doubt leave the Catalans less than pleased.
FIFA announced it’s judgement on it’s website, concluding:
The FIFA Appeal Committee has decided to reject the appeals lodged by both the Uruguayan player Luis Suárez and the Uruguayan FA, and to confirm the decision rendered by the FIFA Disciplinary Committee on 25 June 2014 in its entirety.
The terms of the decision taken by the FIFA Appeal Committee were communicated to the player and the Uruguayan FA today.
The relevant decision is not yet final and binding, i.e. an appeal to the Court of Arbitration of Sport (CAS) is still possible (cf. art. 67 par. 1 of the FIFA Statutes) by the player and/or the Uruguayan FA, subject to certain conditions.
There had been hope in Uruguay that the ban would be lessened after Julio Humberto Grondona, FIFA vice-president, publicly said that the penalty seems “exaggerated”, while Sepp Blatter also made a comment that mistakes do happen. Nevertheless the original decision has been upheld.
- Messi lets slip a cheeky smile during Cristiano Ronaldo’s speech at UEFA awards (...
- Lionel Messi credits his teammates for enabling him to use his individual talents (Video)
- Barcelona recall Messi’s 5 goals against Leverkusen in 2011-12 Champions League (...
- Leo Messi really enjoyed beating Cristiano Roaldo to UEFA Player of the Year award [Ole]
- Leo Messi shares UEFA POY award with Luis Suarez on flight home to Barcelona
- Identical: Neymar’s doppelgänger Barry Cotter (16) signs for Irish club Limerick
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...