FIFA have rejected the appeal of Liverpool’s Luis Suarez against his ban
- July 10, 2014
FIFA have rejected the appeal of Liverpool’s Luis Suarez against his ban for biting Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup, thus rendering his initial punishment of a four month ban plus a nine game international ban intact.
The news is not expected to impact Suarez’s impending transfer from Liverpool to FC Barcelona, however it will no doubt leave the Catalans less than pleased.
FIFA announced it’s judgement on it’s website, concluding:
The FIFA Appeal Committee has decided to reject the appeals lodged by both the Uruguayan player Luis Suárez and the Uruguayan FA, and to confirm the decision rendered by the FIFA Disciplinary Committee on 25 June 2014 in its entirety.
The terms of the decision taken by the FIFA Appeal Committee were communicated to the player and the Uruguayan FA today.
The relevant decision is not yet final and binding, i.e. an appeal to the Court of Arbitration of Sport (CAS) is still possible (cf. art. 67 par. 1 of the FIFA Statutes) by the player and/or the Uruguayan FA, subject to certain conditions.
There had been hope in Uruguay that the ban would be lessened after Julio Humberto Grondona, FIFA vice-president, publicly said that the penalty seems “exaggerated”, while Sepp Blatter also made a comment that mistakes do happen. Nevertheless the original decision has been upheld.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...