Feyenoord’s Stefan de Vrij to sign for Lazio for €8.5m, not Man United [De Telegraaf]
The day after news broke that Manchester United have no interest in signing Feyenoord defender Stefan de Vrij, the leading sports story for Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf on Monday is that the 22-year-old is going to Lazio.
The De Vrij transfer will come as a blow to the English tabloid press, who were touting the centre-half for a possible move to Old Trafford for several weeks now, as recently as this weekend.
Belief that Louis van Gaal was targetting de Vrij was snuffed out on Sunday when local Dutch news agency RTV Rijnmond announced that Manchester United have “no interest” in moving for the Oranje international.
RTV Rijnmond’s update has now been rubber-stamped by De Telegraaf as they report de Vrij is moving to Lazio for €8.5 million.
De Vrij is set to have his medical in Rome in the next 48 hours ahead of signing a five year contract at Lazio.
Many United fans may be left wondering why the Red Devils are not moving for de Vrij, particularly as their squad seems short of centre-halves after the departures of Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand this summer.
Do United have another defender they are keeping their eyes on? We can only wait and see.
Watch Live Stream
- Brad Jones pulls off crazy last second stop for Feyenoord win at PSV (Video)September 18, 2016
- Liverpool hero Dirk Kuyt reacts to his win over Manchester United [Instagram]September 15, 2016
- Feyenoord’s Tonny Vilhena scores offside goal to sink lacklustre Man United (Video)September 15, 2016
- Feyenoord vs Manchester United [Team Sheets]September 15, 2016
- Chelsea are preparing a €25 million bid for a Lazio defender [Alfredo Pedulla]August 27, 2016
- Lazio v Juventus: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-08-27August 20, 2016
- Chelsea keen on Lazio winger Antoino Candreva, will let Cuadrado go to Juventus [Di Marzio]July 14, 2016
- Antonio Candreva has asked to leave Lazio to join Napoli [Football Italia]July 9, 2016
- Anthony Martial slipped through the mixed zone incognito post Man United 1 – Zorya 0 (Video)September 30, 2016
- Paul Scholes has a theory to explain why Manchester United are struggling in the Europa League (Video)September 30, 2016
- Jose Mourinho moves to give Sir Alex Ferguson more power at Manchester United [Glasgow Live]September 30, 2016
- The Manchester giants are going to ‘go to war’ to sign Real Madrid’s Toni Kroos [MD]September 30, 2016