Feyenoord’s Stefan de Vrij to sign for Lazio for €8.5m, not Man United [De Telegraaf]
- July 28, 2014
The day after news broke that Manchester United have no interest in signing Feyenoord defender Stefan de Vrij, the leading sports story for Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf on Monday is that the 22-year-old is going to Lazio.
The De Vrij transfer will come as a blow to the English tabloid press, who were touting the centre-half for a possible move to Old Trafford for several weeks now, as recently as this weekend.
Belief that Louis van Gaal was targetting de Vrij was snuffed out on Sunday when local Dutch news agency RTV Rijnmond announced that Manchester United have “no interest” in moving for the Oranje international.
RTV Rijnmond’s update has now been rubber-stamped by De Telegraaf as they report de Vrij is moving to Lazio for €8.5 million.
De Vrij is set to have his medical in Rome in the next 48 hours ahead of signing a five year contract at Lazio.
Many United fans may be left wondering why the Red Devils are not moving for de Vrij, particularly as their squad seems short of centre-halves after the departures of Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand this summer.
Do United have another defender they are keeping their eyes on? We can only wait and see.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...