- QPR v Arsenal [Team Sheets]
- Valencia’s Sofiane Feghouli has fastest top speed (35.53 km/h) in La Liga! [Video]
- Luka Modric nearly forgets his lines in Christmas message with Gareth Bale [Video]
- Cristiano Ronaldo has to hold himself from laughing at joker Coentrão during Christmas message [Video]
- Brendan Rodgers: ‘Mario Balotelli may have to get used to Liverpool bench’ [Guardian]
Fernando Torres scores ‘Half Panenka’ penalty almost a year since last goal and Spain appearance [Video]
Fernando Torres quite comfortably made the Spain World Cup squad (of 30) according to boss Vicente Del Bosque, but that’s to forget that Torres had been left in the cold for almost a year from the Spain scene.
Torres’ last involvement with La Roja was at last summer’s Confederations Cup in June, scoring his last goal against Nigeria.
On his return tonight, Torres scored his 37th Spain goal with a cool-as-you-like penalty. (He did also have a shocking miss just a minute later but the less said about that the better.)
Some have referred to it as as a ‘Pirlo Panenka’, which is a bit generous; Torres does put it down the middle, but not quite with the dink chip that the Panenka requires.
It was more of a ‘low Neeskens’, to be more accurate. Or a ‘Half Panenka’?
- Updated: May 30, 2014