Ferdinand & Giggs turn on Chelsea target Rooney: Man United’s striker looks isolated
- August 6, 2013
Surely Wayne Rooney can’t stay at Manchester United much longer.
Rooney is splashed on the backpages of the Independent, Mirror and Express on Tuesday as the wantaway striker is said to have become isolated at Old Trafford as senior squad members Ryan Giggs and Rio Ferdinand have turned on the number 10.
Reports of the dressing room split comes off the back on Monday’s news update that Rooney will miss United’s match against AIK Stockholm due to a brand new shoulder injury, which although is genuine, carries the stench of being a transfer ploy.
According to the Independent’s Ian Herbert:
The relationship between Wayne Rooney and Manchester United… is drifting into a deep and irretrievable state of estrangement.
An impression is also being given that Rooney’s relationship with some of the senior players in the United dressing room – Ferdinand, Ryan Giggs and Patrice Evra – is becoming strained, amid those players’ concerns that their pleas with him to stay at United have been ignored. The sense of a dressing-room rift serves Rooney well in his attempts to prove that his position at the club is untenable. He can shape his own position as one in which he has fans and team-mates against him, with Ferguson, now an ogre in the player’s mind, as a spectre in the background. All good grounds to leave.
A similar sentiment is echoed in the Mirror, with David Maddock scribbling:
Wayne Rooney is facing a players’ revolt over his attempt to force a way out of Manchester United… Tensions are running high within the United squad, with senior players such as Rio Ferdinand, Ryan Giggs and Patrice Evra expressing their anger at the way the situation has developed.
As for the Express, the tabloid spells out Rooney’s current plight in simple terms.
With United’s huge fan base already turned against him and the players now unhappy, Rooney’s position at the club is becoming untenable and leaves Moyes in a nightmare position. He cannot sell Rooney to Chelsea, one of their main title rivals, without strengthening his squad first with a major signing to soften the blow.
Widespread belief is that should Chelsea offer 40 million pounds for Rooney, that third offer from the Blues would be accepted.
- Montreal Impact publish extended video of Didier Drogba’s incredible welcome (Video)
- Chelsea’s Diego Costa once killed his pet Yorkshire Terrier by accidentally runni...
- Huge Community Shield Odds: 7/1 Chelsea, 9/1 Arsenal to win!!!
- Diego Costa’s first words to John Terry after joining Chelsea were “I go to...
- Diego Costa reveals how Chelsea urged him to reject Liverpool in 2013
- Man United are taking on Chelsea in the race to sign John Stones [Guardian]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi