Ferdinand & Giggs turn on Chelsea target Rooney: Man United’s striker looks isolated
- August 6, 2013
Surely Wayne Rooney can’t stay at Manchester United much longer.
Rooney is splashed on the backpages of the Independent, Mirror and Express on Tuesday as the wantaway striker is said to have become isolated at Old Trafford as senior squad members Ryan Giggs and Rio Ferdinand have turned on the number 10.
Reports of the dressing room split comes off the back on Monday’s news update that Rooney will miss United’s match against AIK Stockholm due to a brand new shoulder injury, which although is genuine, carries the stench of being a transfer ploy.
According to the Independent’s Ian Herbert:
The relationship between Wayne Rooney and Manchester United… is drifting into a deep and irretrievable state of estrangement.
An impression is also being given that Rooney’s relationship with some of the senior players in the United dressing room – Ferdinand, Ryan Giggs and Patrice Evra – is becoming strained, amid those players’ concerns that their pleas with him to stay at United have been ignored. The sense of a dressing-room rift serves Rooney well in his attempts to prove that his position at the club is untenable. He can shape his own position as one in which he has fans and team-mates against him, with Ferguson, now an ogre in the player’s mind, as a spectre in the background. All good grounds to leave.
A similar sentiment is echoed in the Mirror, with David Maddock scribbling:
Wayne Rooney is facing a players’ revolt over his attempt to force a way out of Manchester United… Tensions are running high within the United squad, with senior players such as Rio Ferdinand, Ryan Giggs and Patrice Evra expressing their anger at the way the situation has developed.
As for the Express, the tabloid spells out Rooney’s current plight in simple terms.
With United’s huge fan base already turned against him and the players now unhappy, Rooney’s position at the club is becoming untenable and leaves Moyes in a nightmare position. He cannot sell Rooney to Chelsea, one of their main title rivals, without strengthening his squad first with a major signing to soften the blow.
Widespread belief is that should Chelsea offer 40 million pounds for Rooney, that third offer from the Blues would be accepted.
- Heathrow Airport trolls Arsenal & Chelsea [Tweet]
- Chelsea closing in on the signing of Reading centre back Michael Hector [Sky Sports]
- Done Deal: Nantes defender Papy Djilobodji joins Chelsea [Tweet]
- Chelsea winger Victor Moses joins West Ham on season long loan
- Zlatan & Neymar move to Man United, Chelsea get confused trying to land Stones (44...
- Papy Djilobodji is currently undergoing a medical at Chelsea ahead of €3.5m move [20 Mi...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...