FC Porto’s Steven Defour is in talks with Fulham about a permanent transfer [Het Laatste Nieuws]
It looks like FC Porto’s Steven Defour is heading to Fulham provided the clubs can reach a financial agreement on the wantway Belgian midfielder.
Defour, 25, has seen his stock plummet in recent times with the Dragons as he has been left out of the Porto first team for poor performances. Defour has only played 13 ties this season.
With the 2014 World Cup approaching and with Defour eager to kickstart his career back on track, the player has made it abundantly clear he wants out of his current predicament as soon as possible. Last week his agent Paul Stefani told reporters:
He will tell Porto he wants to leave the club. Porto don’t want to sell him and consider him as a player for the future, but with the upcoming World Cup, Steven has to play more games.
Until recently Anderlecht were the only club who had shown real interest in signing Defour in January, but Belgian paper Het Laatste Nieuws report on Tuesday that agent Stefani and Fulham CEO Alistair Mackintosh met in London on Monday to discuss a permanent transfer deal.
Fulham are said to have offered Defour a 4 and a half year contract, and by all accounts the financial package offered by the Cottagers is agreeable by the player.
The focus, thus, is now back on Porto. The Portuguese giants are known to want to sell Defour, rather than loaning him out, however the club are said to want around £7 million for the midfielder.
A copy of Het Laatste Nieuws report on Fulham’s interest in Steven Defour is below.