FC Barcelona reveal that Thomas Vermaelen has a thigh injury, out for unknown period
Never buy a player from Arsene Wenger, so the proverb goes.
Just two days after Thomas Vermaelen passed his medical at Barcelona, having signed from Arsenal for approximately £15m, the Catalan club have revealed that the Belgian defender is carrying a thigh injury, sustained at the World Cup.
Of course, a thigh injury wouldn’t be a reason for a player to fail a medical – the exam is more of a holistic formality, but still, it’s surprising that Vermaelen’s injury was kept on the hush hush throughout negotiations.
You’d have to feel Barcelona were already aware, but preferred to keep it quiet so as not to cause a panic among the fans.
According to the club website, he’ll undergo physiotherapy, and will be unavailable for an unknown period.
Watch Live Stream
- Pep Guardiola calls a journalist a ‘liar’ for fake news story regarding Alexis SanchezDecember 5, 2016
- Mesut Ozil & Alexis Sanchez still unhappy with Arsenal contract offers [Standard]December 5, 2016
- Arsenal & Chelsea stars joined by Ryan Fraser in the Euro team of the week [GdS]December 5, 2016
- Alexis Sanchez labelled the third best South American in the EPL after Liverpool & Man City starsDecember 5, 2016
- Liverpool set for a Champions League return at BarcelonaDecember 5, 2016
- Barca legend Xavi talks about Cristiano Ronaldo’s financial problems [Rac1]December 5, 2016
- Fouling Neymar: The 442oons Barcelona 1 – Real Madrid 1 movie trailer (video)December 5, 2016
- Leaked: Barcelona’s new kits for 2017-18December 5, 2016
- Arsenal & West Ham battling it out for Thomas Vermaelen [Sport]August 2, 2016
- Liverpool make €10m offer to Barcelona for Thomas Vermaelan [Sport]April 27, 2016
- Barcelona’s Thomas Vermaelen: “Don’t ever think Arsenal is out” (Video)March 13, 2016
- Japanese Barcelona fans stay silent as Vermaelen passes before going nuts for Iniesta (Video)December 15, 2015