Fact: Spurs have played in the Europa League before 9 of their last 10 losses in the Premier League
- February 24, 2014
(Read the Tweets from the bottom one up.)
The current quandary of Tottenham in the last few years era is summed up by their Premier League position today: In fifth position, six points off fourth and a Champions League spot, five points ahead of sixth placed Manchester United.
It could be argued, and no doubt will be by many Spurs fans, that regardless of who is in charge next season, the worst thing that can happen is a league position high enough to qualify for the Europa League again.
The statistic that Spurs have played in the Europa League on a Thursday night before 9 of their last 10 losses in the Premier League is a damning one and brought by Dutch coach Raymond Verheijen.
Known for his stinging criticism of Manchester United boss David Moyes as well as working under Gary Speed with Wales, Verheijen has put together a study which proves that sides with just 2 days rest often struggle.
Tottenham looked lethargic on Sunday against Norwich and there is an argument to say the Premier League should be assisting sides in Europe’s secondary competition by playing their games on a Monday after a Thursday night match.
It was even more pronounced this week as Spurs had a long trip to Dnipro, including a four-hour plane trip and were then shorn of a couple of players that had been rested in Kyle Walker and Younes Kaboul through injury.
Meanwhile, Liverpool appear to be a much more energetic side this season thanks to a lack of European football.
Or, it could be argued Swansea didn’t seem to lack energy in scoring three goals at Anfield yesterday and if Spurs want to play in the Champions League, they have to get used to playing three times in a week.
Tottenham’s week is again dominated by a Europa League match (second leg at home to Dnipro) followed by a Premier League encounter at White Hart Lane with Cardiff.
This will be easier for Tim Sherwood’s side, since there will be no extra travelling but we suspect most Spurs fans would not be disappointed if they were to crash out to Juande Ramos’ side in the Europa League.
Or is the chance of winning silverware a big enough carrot?
- Tottenham’s Son Heung-min bags a hat-trick for South Korea ft. two stunners (Video)
- Tottenham’s Son Heung-Min scores for South Korea v Laos (Video)
- Tottenham’s Daniel Levy issues a statement on the failed bid for West Brom’...
- Tottenham’s Nabil Bentleb posts angry Instagram message dismissing injury claims
- Dimitar Berbatov’s new club post video of his best goals for Man United & Sp...
- Done Deal: After interest from Aston Villa, ex-Man United striker Dimitar Berbatov head...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...