Fabio Capello blames laser shone by Algeria fans in Akinfeev’s eyes on Russia’s World Cup exit [Pictures]
- June 27, 2014
Russia are feeling pretty aggrieved this morning, having been knocked out of the World Cup because of the foul play from their opposing team’s fans.
A green laser pen was shone in Russian keeeper Akinfeev’s face just before the game’s key moment – Algeria’s goal, which gave them the equalizer and point they needed.
Had Russia held out for the win, it would have been they, and not Algeria, who advanced.
Just after the laser was shone in Akinfeev’s face, Djabou’s sent a free-kick into the Russian box; Akinffev came out to claim it, but Algeria’s Islam Slimani beat him to it.
Had he been blinded/unsighted by the laser?
Capello certainly felt so afterwards:
“He was blinded by the laser beam.”
Capello said: “There are pictures. You can see that in the footage. This not an excuse, it is a fact. There was a laser. I have never come up with excuses to get by in my entire life.”
Though a salary of 9 million euros per year should see you doing considerably more in a weak group than having to resort to using the excuse of a laser beam, Don Fabio probably has a strong case here.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...