Fabio Capello blames laser shone by Algeria fans in Akinfeev’s eyes on Russia’s World Cup exit [Pictures]
- June 27, 2014
Russia are feeling pretty aggrieved this morning, having been knocked out of the World Cup because of the foul play from their opposing team’s fans.
A green laser pen was shone in Russian keeeper Akinfeev’s face just before the game’s key moment – Algeria’s goal, which gave them the equalizer and point they needed.
Had Russia held out for the win, it would have been they, and not Algeria, who advanced.
Just after the laser was shone in Akinfeev’s face, Djabou’s sent a free-kick into the Russian box; Akinffev came out to claim it, but Algeria’s Islam Slimani beat him to it.
Had he been blinded/unsighted by the laser?
Capello certainly felt so afterwards:
“He was blinded by the laser beam.”
Capello said: “There are pictures. You can see that in the footage. This not an excuse, it is a fact. There was a laser. I have never come up with excuses to get by in my entire life.”
Though a salary of 9 million euros per year should see you doing considerably more in a weak group than having to resort to using the excuse of a laser beam, Don Fabio probably has a strong case here.
- Spurs midfielder Nabil Bentaleb finishes off quality Algeria goal v Seychelles [video]
- After a cock-up at Algeria training, Spurs’ Nabil Bentaleb gets hit round the hea...
- Amazing spinning backheel golazo by Algerian U12 player v South Africa [GIF]
- Porto midfielder Yacine Brahimi pulled off a Zidane roulette for Algeria v Ethiopia [Vi...
- Algeria record a fifth straight win beating Ethiopia 3-1 [Video]
- Algeria qualify for the African Cup of Nations with convincing 3-0 win over Malawi [Hig...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi