FA Cup shocker: Stevenage fan punches Stevenage’s Scott Laird
- January 8, 2011
Yep, you read the title correctly.
The magic of the FA Cup has been hailed once again thanks to the likes of Burton Albion (who beat Middlesbrough), Leyton Orient (who posted a victory at Norwich), Reading (who saw off West Brom) and Southampton (victors over Blackpool).
Arguably the biggest shock of the 3rd round so far though was League Two outfit Stevenage Borough’s convincing 3-1 victory over Newcastle and with it came the obligatory FA Cup pitch invasion.
There was though a sour note for one Stevenage player, Scott Laird,Â who in the aftermath of the match, was approached by what must have been a Newcastle fan, but police said was a StevenageÂ supporter,Â and punched him in the face from point blank range.
Laird went down like the proverbial sack of spuds and had to be helped up by Stevenage players and fans in surely the most unsavoury moment of the FA Cup so far.
The FA have also announced that they “will be investigating the incident and seeking to establish facts from both clubs and the police.”
A Hertfordshire Police spokesman said: “It is believed a Stevenage fan assaulted a Stevenage player.”
Related video: Stevenage 3 – Newcastle 1 highlights.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...