FA Cup shocker: Stevenage fan punches Stevenage’s Scott Laird
- January 8, 2011
Yep, you read the title correctly.
The magic of the FA Cup has been hailed once again thanks to the likes of Burton Albion (who beat Middlesbrough), Leyton Orient (who posted a victory at Norwich), Reading (who saw off West Brom) and Southampton (victors over Blackpool).
Arguably the biggest shock of the 3rd round so far though was League Two outfit Stevenage Borough’s convincing 3-1 victory over Newcastle and with it came the obligatory FA Cup pitch invasion.
There was though a sour note for one Stevenage player, Scott Laird,Â who in the aftermath of the match, was approached by what must have been a Newcastle fan, but police said was a StevenageÂ supporter,Â and punched him in the face from point blank range.
Laird went down like the proverbial sack of spuds and had to be helped up by Stevenage players and fans in surely the most unsavoury moment of the FA Cup so far.
The FA have also announced that they “will be investigating the incident and seeking to establish facts from both clubs and the police.”
A Hertfordshire Police spokesman said: “It is believed a Stevenage fan assaulted a Stevenage player.”
Related video: Stevenage 3 – Newcastle 1 highlights.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi