- Sogndal’s Kristian Fardal Opseth emulates Charlie Adam with 57-yard golazo [Vine]
- Aston Villa players celebrate FA Cup semi-final win over Liverpool in Wembley dressing room [Video]
- Liverpool’s Mario Balotelli complains about offside decision on Instagram after FA Cup exit
- Bizarre: Al Faisaly keeper scores insane overhead kick own goal v Al Wihdat [Video]
- Christian Eriksen refuses to admit anyone got a touch on 2nd Spurs goal at Newcastle [video]
Ezequiel Garay was set for Manchester United until David Moyes was appointed, says Ezequiel Garay [Mirror]
- October 14, 2013
As Manchester United fans continue to grapple with their club’s poor start to the Premier League campaign, David Moyes’ activity in the summer transfer market has again been put under the microscope thanks to fresh quotes from highly-rated Benfica defender Ezequiel Garay.
Throughout the summer United were linked to a €20m bid for Benfica’s centre-half Garay, however, despite mountains of paper talk, the deal never came to fruition.
Now, according to Garay, the deal never came about because of the appointment of David Moyes at Old Trafford.
Garay is quoted in Monday’s Mirror saying:
I believed I was going to join Manchester United in the summer. The deal was nearly closed but finally Benfica did not accept the offer.
I believe the exit of Ferguson has influenced the deal. Moyes did not believe in me as much but that’s not a problem.
I am happy at Benfica and have a lot of dreams and ambitions for this season. Now I only think about the present which is Benfica but it’s never possible to discard anything in the future.
Garay is widely considered to be one of the best defenders in Portugal, and although the 26-year-old is not the fastest player ever seen, his football brain means the centre-half is rarely caught out of position.