Ezequiel Garay was set for Manchester United until David Moyes was appointed, says Ezequiel Garay [Mirror]
- October 14, 2013
As Manchester United fans continue to grapple with their club’s poor start to the Premier League campaign, David Moyes’ activity in the summer transfer market has again been put under the microscope thanks to fresh quotes from highly-rated Benfica defender Ezequiel Garay.
Throughout the summer United were linked to a €20m bid for Benfica’s centre-half Garay, however, despite mountains of paper talk, the deal never came to fruition.
Now, according to Garay, the deal never came about because of the appointment of David Moyes at Old Trafford.
Garay is quoted in Monday’s Mirror saying:
I believed I was going to join Manchester United in the summer. The deal was nearly closed but finally Benfica did not accept the offer.
I believe the exit of Ferguson has influenced the deal. Moyes did not believe in me as much but that’s not a problem.
I am happy at Benfica and have a lot of dreams and ambitions for this season. Now I only think about the present which is Benfica but it’s never possible to discard anything in the future.
Garay is widely considered to be one of the best defenders in Portugal, and although the 26-year-old is not the fastest player ever seen, his football brain means the centre-half is rarely caught out of position.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...