Eyesore! Belgian town Tubize renovate Platini statue, turn it into shrine of Chelsea’s Eden Hazard [Pictures]
- June 4, 2014
The quaint Belgian town of Tubize wanted to pay tribute to local lad Eden Hazard, who started out his formative football education at the club, before being signed to French club Lille.
Perhaps without wanting to shell out on an entirely new statue from scratch, they decided to simply renovate the rather bizarre one of Platini they sculpted in 1986, converting it into a Hazard shrine.
Being as generous as possible, it’s a bit of a monstrosity, with ridiculously outsize limbs, and a truly bewildering outstretched pose.
Hazard could not be present for the unveiling; his mother (a former professional footballer herself) attended in his place, and said: ‘Eden was very flattered to hear about this. From 2000 onwards, we would bring him here to Tubize to train 4 times per week, so it’s a lovely homage.’
More pictures below the fold.
(Via So Foot)
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...