Eyesore! Belgian town Tubize renovate Platini statue, turn it into shrine of Chelsea’s Eden Hazard [Pictures]
The quaint Belgian town of Tubize wanted to pay tribute to local lad Eden Hazard, who started out his formative football education at the club, before being signed to French club Lille.
Perhaps without wanting to shell out on an entirely new statue from scratch, they decided to simply renovate the rather bizarre one of Platini they sculpted in 1986, converting it into a Hazard shrine.
Being as generous as possible, it’s a bit of a monstrosity, with ridiculously outsize limbs, and a truly bewildering outstretched pose.
Hazard could not be present for the unveiling; his mother (a former professional footballer herself) attended in his place, and said: ‘Eden was very flattered to hear about this. From 2000 onwards, we would bring him here to Tubize to train 4 times per week, so it’s a lovely homage.’
More pictures below the fold.
(Via So Foot)
Watch Live Stream
- Ugly Scenes: West Ham and Chelsea fans clash at the Olympic Stadium (Videos)October 26, 2016
- Jose Mourinho apologises to Man United’s Stretford End for 4-0 defeat to Chelsea (Video)October 26, 2016
- “Extremely sorry” Jose Mourinho apologises to Man United fans in match-day programmeOctober 26, 2016
- Vicente del Bosque supports Jose Mourinho’s criticisms of Chelsea’s boss [Cadena SER]October 26, 2016
- Who is better: Eden Hazard in goal or Thibaut Courtois as an outfield player? (Video)October 25, 2016
- Eden Hazard & De Gea among the big names to miss out on Ballon D’Or nominationOctober 24, 2016
- Chelsea’s Eden Hazard takes the mick out of Antonio Conte’s touchline antics (Video)October 22, 2016
- Chelsea’s Hazard presents N’Golo Kante with MOTM, explains celebration v Leicester (Video)October 15, 2016