- Kevin Strootman to Manchester United is on after AS Roma exit from Champions League [ESPN]
- FA ban Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli for one game and fine him £25,000 for Instagram post
- Arsenal appear to be out of the race for Paulo Dybala as Palermo’s £31m valuation is too high
- Man United players sign the head of a brave girl suffering from leukaemia after she lost her hair
- Park Ji-Sung given hero’s reception at PSV before crowd accidentally set banner on fire [Videos]
Ex-Spurs man Jermain Defoe fights with Gilberto over free-kick, eats humble pie after Toronto striker scores golazo!
There were shades of Di Canio/Lampard in the MLS last night, as Toronto’s Jermain Defoe and Gilberto fought over who should take a close-range free-kick against the New York Red Bulls, like a pair of outsize babies.
The Brazilian striker won the argument, much to the chagrin of ex-Spurs man Defoe, who looked about ready to knock his striker partner’s block off (since when does Defoe take free-kicks?!)
And after the resulting free-kick, Defoe was left eating humble pie, as Gilberto scored a tomahawk rocket golazo, his first in the MLS!
Gilberto’s shot took off like a rocket, and the keeper had no chance as it fired in under his crossbar.
It was all happy families afterwards, as Defoe showed himself to be a good teammate, running to congratulate Gilberto, as the pair laughed about their earlier bickering.
- Updated: June 28, 2014