Ex-Man United & City legend Peter Schmeichel defends ‘special’ Joe Hart, can’t explain why he’s been dropped
- November 26, 2013
One of the greatest, if not the greatest, ever goalkeeper’s in Premier League history, Peter Schmeichel, has had say on the treatment of Joe Hart at Manchester City.
Speaking on MOTD2, Schmeichel, who played for both Manchester United and Man City during his career, gave an impassioned defence of England’s number one.
Hart has been ousted out of the Man City goal for the last five games by Costal Pantilimon, and that bench time came right after Hart had a howler at Chelsea to gift the Blues a 2-1 home win over the Citizens in the league.
Schmeichel, however, remains steadfast in his belief that Hart should be backed:
I would play him in every game. I’m mystified that he’s even being questioned him playing for Man City, him playing for England.
I think for the first time in many, many years England have a goalie that he’s of that quality you can start to be built around him.
Here you have someone who is very special… For whatever reason Man City start having troubles at the back, Kompany isn’t playing, I think they are suffering for that, and they are conceding goals and the first thing that happens is you start blaming the goalkeeper. I think it’s very unfair.
Contrasting Schmeichel’s point of view was long-service BBC radio commentator Alan Green, who was at pains to flag up Hart’s error at Chelsea as the reason why the stopper is now on the sidelines.
See Peter Schmeichel’s analysis of the Joe Hart situation below.
- Man City players join with lucky fans to unveil new Nike home kit for the 2015/16 seaso...
- Man City goalie Joe Hart is the unlikely friend of rapper 50 Cent [Instagram]
- Joe Hart looking forward to Wayne Rooney breaking England’s goalscoring record [V...
- Man City keeper Joe Hart on his record fourth Golden Gloves award [Video]
- Joe Hart on his wonder save for Man City at Swansea [video]
- Joe Hart says Man City players felt like kids when faced with Leo Messi [Video]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi