- Frenchman Benjamin Stambouli thinks Spurs can win the Premier League [Evening Standard]
- West Brom v Arsenal: Predicted line-ups, preview & betting tips
- He’s cursed! Crazy injury graphic of Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere [Picture]
- Awesome! Rayo Vallecano relocate & pay lifetime rent for 85 year old homeless lady [Video]
- Female pitch invader couldn’t control her emotions when she met Cristiano Ronaldo [Pictures]
Ex-Man United & City legend Peter Schmeichel defends ‘special’ Joe Hart, can’t explain why he’s been dropped
One of the greatest, if not the greatest, ever goalkeeper’s in Premier League history, Peter Schmeichel, has had say on the treatment of Joe Hart at Manchester City.
Speaking on MOTD2, Schmeichel, who played for both Manchester United and Man City during his career, gave an impassioned defence of England’s number one.
Hart has been ousted out of the Man City goal for the last five games by Costal Pantilimon, and that bench time came right after Hart had a howler at Chelsea to gift the Blues a 2-1 home win over the Citizens in the league.
Schmeichel, however, remains steadfast in his belief that Hart should be backed:
I would play him in every game. I’m mystified that he’s even being questioned him playing for Man City, him playing for England.
I think for the first time in many, many years England have a goalie that he’s of that quality you can start to be built around him.
Here you have someone who is very special… For whatever reason Man City start having troubles at the back, Kompany isn’t playing, I think they are suffering for that, and they are conceding goals and the first thing that happens is you start blaming the goalkeeper. I think it’s very unfair.
Contrasting Schmeichel’s point of view was long-service BBC radio commentator Alan Green, who was at pains to flag up Hart’s error at Chelsea as the reason why the stopper is now on the sidelines.
See Peter Schmeichel’s analysis of the Joe Hart situation below.
- Updated: November 26, 2013