Ex-Man United & City legend Peter Schmeichel defends ‘special’ Joe Hart, can’t explain why he’s been dropped
- November 26, 2013
One of the greatest, if not the greatest, ever goalkeeper’s in Premier League history, Peter Schmeichel, has had say on the treatment of Joe Hart at Manchester City.
Speaking on MOTD2, Schmeichel, who played for both Manchester United and Man City during his career, gave an impassioned defence of England’s number one.
Hart has been ousted out of the Man City goal for the last five games by Costal Pantilimon, and that bench time came right after Hart had a howler at Chelsea to gift the Blues a 2-1 home win over the Citizens in the league.
Schmeichel, however, remains steadfast in his belief that Hart should be backed:
I would play him in every game. I’m mystified that he’s even being questioned him playing for Man City, him playing for England.
I think for the first time in many, many years England have a goalie that he’s of that quality you can start to be built around him.
Here you have someone who is very special… For whatever reason Man City start having troubles at the back, Kompany isn’t playing, I think they are suffering for that, and they are conceding goals and the first thing that happens is you start blaming the goalkeeper. I think it’s very unfair.
Contrasting Schmeichel’s point of view was long-service BBC radio commentator Alan Green, who was at pains to flag up Hart’s error at Chelsea as the reason why the stopper is now on the sidelines.
See Peter Schmeichel’s analysis of the Joe Hart situation below.
- Joe Hart was undoubtedly the hero of the penalty shootout as Man City beat Roma [Offici...
- Raheem Sterling scores goals in Man City training, Joe Hart does pushups as a forfeit [...
- Man City players join with lucky fans to unveil new Nike home kit for the 2015/16 seaso...
- Man City goalie Joe Hart is the unlikely friend of rapper 50 Cent [Instagram]
- Joe Hart looking forward to Wayne Rooney breaking England’s goalscoring record [V...
- Man City keeper Joe Hart on his record fourth Golden Gloves award [Video]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...