Ex-Man United & City legend Peter Schmeichel defends ‘special’ Joe Hart, can’t explain why he’s been dropped
One of the greatest, if not the greatest, ever goalkeeper’s in Premier League history, Peter Schmeichel, has had say on the treatment of Joe Hart at Manchester City.
Speaking on MOTD2, Schmeichel, who played for both Manchester United and Man City during his career, gave an impassioned defence of England’s number one.
Hart has been ousted out of the Man City goal for the last five games by Costal Pantilimon, and that bench time came right after Hart had a howler at Chelsea to gift the Blues a 2-1 home win over the Citizens in the league.
Schmeichel, however, remains steadfast in his belief that Hart should be backed:
I would play him in every game. I’m mystified that he’s even being questioned him playing for Man City, him playing for England.
I think for the first time in many, many years England have a goalie that he’s of that quality you can start to be built around him.
Here you have someone who is very special… For whatever reason Man City start having troubles at the back, Kompany isn’t playing, I think they are suffering for that, and they are conceding goals and the first thing that happens is you start blaming the goalkeeper. I think it’s very unfair.
Contrasting Schmeichel’s point of view was long-service BBC radio commentator Alan Green, who was at pains to flag up Hart’s error at Chelsea as the reason why the stopper is now on the sidelines.
See Peter Schmeichel’s analysis of the Joe Hart situation below.
Watch Live Stream
- Torino loan GK Joe Hart makes strongest indication yet that his Manchester City career is overDecember 1, 2016
- Joe Hart posts amusing video after Torino win, unsure of England squad placeNovember 5, 2016
- Man City loanee Joe Hart produces a howler to gift Mauro Icardi (Inter Milan) a goal (Video)October 26, 2016
- Joe Hart trends online as Man City’s Claudio Bravo sent off for howler v Barcelona [Best Tweets]October 19, 2016
- MOTD pundits claim to know why Pep Guardiola is struggling at Man City (Video)December 11, 2016
- John Stones drug tested after Leicester 4 – Man City 2 (video)December 10, 2016
- Journalist asks Pep about Man City not winning a tackle in 35 mins v Leicester. He didn’t like it (Video)December 10, 2016
- It’s not all Pep’s fault: Man City’s defensive signings over last 7 years are awfulDecember 10, 2016
- Key Man United figures outed as preferring Mauricio Pochettino to Jose MourinhoDecember 11, 2016
- Eric Dier says he was just joking with Ander Herrera pre Man United v Spurs [Guardian]December 11, 2016
- I guess they’re good: Zlatan puts down Kane & Spurs pre Man United clashDecember 11, 2016
- Explained: Why fans don’t believe the Jose Mourinho v MUTV’s Stewart Gardner fallout storyDecember 11, 2016