Ex-Man United & City legend Peter Schmeichel defends ‘special’ Joe Hart, can’t explain why he’s been dropped
One of the greatest, if not the greatest, ever goalkeeper’s in Premier League history, Peter Schmeichel, has had say on the treatment of Joe Hart at Manchester City.
Speaking on MOTD2, Schmeichel, who played for both Manchester United and Man City during his career, gave an impassioned defence of England’s number one.
Hart has been ousted out of the Man City goal for the last five games by Costal Pantilimon, and that bench time came right after Hart had a howler at Chelsea to gift the Blues a 2-1 home win over the Citizens in the league.
Schmeichel, however, remains steadfast in his belief that Hart should be backed:
I would play him in every game. I’m mystified that he’s even being questioned him playing for Man City, him playing for England.
I think for the first time in many, many years England have a goalie that he’s of that quality you can start to be built around him.
Here you have someone who is very special… For whatever reason Man City start having troubles at the back, Kompany isn’t playing, I think they are suffering for that, and they are conceding goals and the first thing that happens is you start blaming the goalkeeper. I think it’s very unfair.
Contrasting Schmeichel’s point of view was long-service BBC radio commentator Alan Green, who was at pains to flag up Hart’s error at Chelsea as the reason why the stopper is now on the sidelines.
See Peter Schmeichel’s analysis of the Joe Hart situation below.
Watch Live Stream
- Everton have placed a bid for Manchester City keeper Joe Hart [Telegraph]August 21, 2016
- Manchester City are deluded if they think anyone will pay their asking price for Joe HartAugust 19, 2016
- Farewell: Pep Guardiola comments on Joe Hart and Yaya Toure’s futures at Man CityAugust 19, 2016
- Paper Backpages confused over Joe Hart’s Manchester City future after Guardiola axeAugust 17, 2016
- Man City v Steaua Bucharest: Champions League preview, line-ups & predictionsAugust 24, 2016
- Slaven Bilic confirms West Ham are chasing a Man City strikerAugust 24, 2016
- Eliaquim Mangala’s Man City departure should see Chelsea finally land a defender [Times]August 24, 2016
- Barcelona keeper Claudio Bravo pictured in Manchester ahead of Man City move [Photos]August 23, 2016
- Done Deal: Former Man United & Newcastle midfielder Gabriel Obertan moves to RussiaAugust 24, 2016
- Man United fan creates a comedy Paul Pogba, Zlatan Ibrahimovic shirt [Instagram]August 24, 2016
- Mino Raiola offers Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli to Man United [Gazzetta]August 24, 2016
- Man United fans react to claims Bastian Schweinsteiger is like Chelsea’s Winston BogardeAugust 24, 2016