- Mauricio Pochettino: Spurs should’ve been given a penalty & no sympathy for Man United [Video]
- Man United boss Louis Van Gaal describes tired 2nd half as a “struggle for life” at Spurs [Video]
- Jose Mourinho rant! There is a diving campaign against Chelsea!
- Arsenal fans celebrate a good day, going joint 4th after 2-1 win at West Ham [Best Tweets]
- Chelsea’s Cesc Fabregas criticises ref after Southampton game – “He had a really bad game” [Video]
Europe beckons: Neymar booed off by Brazil fans at end of win over South Africa
After failing to secure Gold at the London 2012 Olympics, any affection held from the Brazil fans for their national team appears to have disappeared.
Whilst coach Mano Menezes has been criticised by any number of ex-Brazil greats, supporters in Sao Paulo showed their displeasure towards Neymar on Friday at the end of the 1-0 win over South Africa.
An unconvincing win over South Africa, played in their away kit, since yellow clashed with Bafana Bafana (and held up the match for 17 minutes), did little to placate the supporters and Neymar had a woeful match.
The Santos starlet was guilty of some dirty dives and generally failed to make any impact at all from the left wing, wasting a particularly fine chance at the end of the first half.
With just a minute to go, Menezes effectively left Neymar all alone in the stadium by substituting the forward only for the Brazil fans to make their displeasure known – booing him mercilessly as he trudged off the pitch.
With Santos going through a process of rebuilding, struggling in 14th spot in the Campeonato Brasileiro, and with his great mate Paulo Henrique Ganso being forced out the club, there is plenty of speculation that this booing may well convince Neymar to finally make the jump to European football.
A move to La Liga, and Barcelona, is rumoured to be the most likely destination. Where, much like Lionel Messi a few years ago for Argentina, Neymar could be under even more pressure every time he turns out for the Brazil national team, just in time for World Cup 2014.
Footage of Neymar being booed by Brazil fans is here:
- Updated: September 9, 2012