Eric Abidal makes his 1st Barca start since a liver transplant v Levante, 98% pass completion rate
- April 21, 2013
Eric Abidal achieved another amazing milestone on Saturday night at the Nou Camp as the Frenchman started his first match in 14 months for the Catalans.
Abidal was diagnosed with a liver tumour back in March 2011, but the French World Cup runner-up made a miraculous comeback only months later to feature in the Champions League final win over Manchester United.
Abidal’s health however took a turn for the worse early in 2012, and the Barcelona player eventually had a successful liver transplant in April.
14 months later, and after just one appearance in a friendly match and two cameo appearances against Mallorca and Real Zaragoza, Abidal received his first start for Barcelona start against Levante at the weekend and he brilliantly completed the full 90 minutes in a 1-0 win.
Moreover, Abidal’s stats in the Levante game were outstanding as the defender completed 74 out of 76 passes in the contest.
Below is an Opta graphic showing Abidal’s sensational pass completion map, whilst there is also a terrific video of Abidal beating a Levante opponent with a snazzy sombrero late on his the contest.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi