Eric Abidal makes his 1st Barca start since a liver transplant v Levante, 98% pass completion rate
- April 21, 2013
Eric Abidal achieved another amazing milestone on Saturday night at the Nou Camp as the Frenchman started his first match in 14 months for the Catalans.
Abidal was diagnosed with a liver tumour back in March 2011, but the French World Cup runner-up made a miraculous comeback only months later to feature in the Champions League final win over Manchester United.
Abidal’s health however took a turn for the worse early in 2012, and the Barcelona player eventually had a successful liver transplant in April.
14 months later, and after just one appearance in a friendly match and two cameo appearances against Mallorca and Real Zaragoza, Abidal received his first start for Barcelona start against Levante at the weekend and he brilliantly completed the full 90 minutes in a 1-0 win.
Moreover, Abidal’s stats in the Levante game were outstanding as the defender completed 74 out of 76 passes in the contest.
Below is an Opta graphic showing Abidal’s sensational pass completion map, whilst there is also a terrific video of Abidal beating a Levante opponent with a snazzy sombrero late on his the contest.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...