Eric Abidal leaves Monaco for Olympiacos because of their behaviour towards ex-Barca man Victor Valdes
Eric Abidal’s status as one of the true walking legends of the modern game was taken up a notch on Saturday, as the French defender walked out on Monaco to join Olympiacos because of principle.
Last week news filtered out of Monaco that their deal to sign Victor Valdes had been shelved due to the keeper’s ongoing injury issues. In short, the Principality got cold feet after an extremely long time of talking to the player and getting the deal in place.
Valdes, who is currently recuperating from a cruciate ligament tear, had already said goodbye to Barcelona and said his farewells to colleagues and fans of the Catalan club thinking the deal was going to happen.
Angry at the way his former Barcelona friend was treated by Monaco, Eric Abidal has now left the Ligue 1 club.
Abidal, who just last week signed a contract extension, has forced a move to Greek club Olympiacos for the way Monaco treated Valdes.
The 34-year-old made made 29 appearances for Monaco last season, as left back continues his career after beating a cancerous liver tumour in 2011 and having had a liver transplant the following year.
Watch Live Stream
- Andres Iniesta’s injury timetable sees him miss 12 Barcelona fixtures, including ClasicoOctober 23, 2016
- Neymar loses a court case regarding the birth of his son Davi Lucca [Noticias24]October 23, 2016
- New video angle emerges of Barcelona players being hit by bottles & Leo Messi’s rage (video)October 23, 2016
- Leo Messi at the double as Barcelona win 3-2 at Valencia (Official video)October 22, 2016
- Monaco’s Djibril Sidibe reveals why he rejected a move to Arsenal [Le Parisien]October 10, 2016
- Leonardo Jardim: Arsenal insight helped in Spurs win [L’Equipe]September 15, 2016
- Tottenham v Monaco: UEFA Champions League preview, line-ups & predictionsSeptember 13, 2016
- Man United target Fabinho scores a thunderba***** in 4-1 Monaco win (Video)September 12, 2016
- Chelsea finally get Marko Marin off their books [Sport1]August 22, 2016
- Jason Bourne-esque: Details reveal how Alan Pulido escaped his kidnappers in MexicoMay 31, 2016
- Olympiakos star Alan Pulido rescued 24 hours after being kidnapped in Mexico (Video)May 30, 2016
- Olympiakos striker Alan Pulido has been kidnapped in MexicoMay 29, 2016