Eric Abidal leaves Monaco for Olympiacos because of their behaviour towards ex-Barca man Victor Valdes
- July 5, 2014
Eric Abidal’s status as one of the true walking legends of the modern game was taken up a notch on Saturday, as the French defender walked out on Monaco to join Olympiacos because of principle.
Last week news filtered out of Monaco that their deal to sign Victor Valdes had been shelved due to the keeper’s ongoing injury issues. In short, the Principality got cold feet after an extremely long time of talking to the player and getting the deal in place.
Valdes, who is currently recuperating from a cruciate ligament tear, had already said goodbye to Barcelona and said his farewells to colleagues and fans of the Catalan club thinking the deal was going to happen.
Angry at the way his former Barcelona friend was treated by Monaco, Eric Abidal has now left the Ligue 1 club.
Abidal, who just last week signed a contract extension, has forced a move to Greek club Olympiacos for the way Monaco treated Valdes.
The 34-year-old made made 29 appearances for Monaco last season, as left back continues his career after beating a cancerous liver tumour in 2011 and having had a liver transplant the following year.
- David De Gea set to join Real Madrid in a cut price deal, Man United eye Gerard Pique [...
- Barcelona 1 – Malaga 0: Thomas Vermaelen scores the winner (Highlights)
- Ex-Arsenal man Thomas Vermaelen saves Barcelona’s bacon in La Liga (Video & ...
- Gerard Pique & Neymar play Poker tournament in Barcelona (Video)
- Barcelona’s Luis Suarez stars as Office Guy in brilliant Abitab advert (Video)
- Messi lets slip a cheeky smile during Cristiano Ronaldo’s speech at UEFA awards (...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...