Eric Abidal leaves Monaco for Olympiacos because of their behaviour towards ex-Barca man Victor Valdes
Eric Abidal’s status as one of the true walking legends of the modern game was taken up a notch on Saturday, as the French defender walked out on Monaco to join Olympiacos because of principle.
Last week news filtered out of Monaco that their deal to sign Victor Valdes had been shelved due to the keeper’s ongoing injury issues. In short, the Principality got cold feet after an extremely long time of talking to the player and getting the deal in place.
Valdes, who is currently recuperating from a cruciate ligament tear, had already said goodbye to Barcelona and said his farewells to colleagues and fans of the Catalan club thinking the deal was going to happen.
Angry at the way his former Barcelona friend was treated by Monaco, Eric Abidal has now left the Ligue 1 club.
Abidal, who just last week signed a contract extension, has forced a move to Greek club Olympiacos for the way Monaco treated Valdes.
The 34-year-old made made 29 appearances for Monaco last season, as left back continues his career after beating a cancerous liver tumour in 2011 and having had a liver transplant the following year.
Watch Live Stream
- Barcelona tried to sign Arsenal bound striker Lucas Perez [Graham Hunter Audio]August 26, 2016
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s brilliant response to Gerard Pique’s easy Champions League commentsAugust 26, 2016
- The Champions League group stage draw in full ft. Leicester and ArsenalAugust 25, 2016
- Barcelona pay tribute to new Man City keeper Claudio Bravo with highlights montage (video)August 25, 2016
- AS Monaco name their price for Manchester United target Fabinho [Sun]August 26, 2016
- Footballer’s wife drops social media hint a move to Man United may be happening [Instagram]August 24, 2016
- Monaco defender Djibril Sidibe reveals he rejected a move to Arsenal [France Football]August 23, 2016
- Monaco v PSG: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-08-28August 21, 2016
- Chelsea finally get Marko Marin off their books [Sport1]August 22, 2016
- Jason Bourne-esque: Details reveal how Alan Pulido escaped his kidnappers in MexicoMay 31, 2016
- Olympiakos star Alan Pulido rescued 24 hours after being kidnapped in Mexico (Video)May 30, 2016
- Olympiakos striker Alan Pulido has been kidnapped in MexicoMay 29, 2016