- Man United fan campaign succeeds after Liverpool remove Mario Balotelli from POTY poll
- The top ten goals from round 32 of La Liga, featuring Antoine Griezmann overhead [Video]
- The goal of the night award goes to Clarence Seedorf [Video]
- Saint Etienne All-Stars beat Ronaldo, Zidane and friends 9-7 in epic charity match [Highlights]
- Ronaldo sends crowd wild with no-look pass to fellow Real Madrid old boy Zidane [Video]
Eric Abidal leaves Monaco for Olympiacos because of their behaviour towards ex-Barca man Victor Valdes
- July 5, 2014
Eric Abidal’s status as one of the true walking legends of the modern game was taken up a notch on Saturday, as the French defender walked out on Monaco to join Olympiacos because of principle.
Last week news filtered out of Monaco that their deal to sign Victor Valdes had been shelved due to the keeper’s ongoing injury issues. In short, the Principality got cold feet after an extremely long time of talking to the player and getting the deal in place.
Valdes, who is currently recuperating from a cruciate ligament tear, had already said goodbye to Barcelona and said his farewells to colleagues and fans of the Catalan club thinking the deal was going to happen.
Angry at the way his former Barcelona friend was treated by Monaco, Eric Abidal has now left the Ligue 1 club.
Abidal, who just last week signed a contract extension, has forced a move to Greek club Olympiacos for the way Monaco treated Valdes.
The 34-year-old made made 29 appearances for Monaco last season, as left back continues his career after beating a cancerous liver tumour in 2011 and having had a liver transplant the following year.