Monday, July 1st, 2013
“This is a very hard moment for me, I have had 3 great years at Corinthians, but now it’s time to go to Tottenham.” – Paulinho.
Tottenham have secured the signing that has been rumoured for a few weeks now, one of Brazil’s Confederations Cup stars – Paulinho.
The 24-year-old midfielder confirmed the transfer alongside Corinthians director of football Roberto de Andrade at a press conference, a day after helping Brazil beat Spain 3-0 in the Maracana.
The powerful midfielder was very emotional and cried on a number of occasions as he said goodbye to Corinthians, with whom he won the Club World Cup at the end of last year.
Tottenham’s new signing confirmed he will now be travelling to London and will not take part in the Recopa Sudamericana matches against Sao Paulo for his former club.
He confirmed the only offer Corinthians received came from Tottenham, despite reports Inter Milan had made a bid.
At the reported fee of 17 million pounds, Paulinho would become Tottenham’s record signing.
“The proposal came in, we sat down, analyzed and resolved it. I’m sure I made a great decision going to a big club too. There comes a certain time when you need new challenges,” said Paulinho.
Roberto de Andrade thanked Paulinho for his time at the club where he also won the Campeonato Brasileiro and Copa Libertadores.
In 167 games for Corinthians, Paulinho scored 34 goals.
Spurs fans and manager Andre Villas-Boas will now be licking their lips at a physically imposing midfield that includes Sandro, Mousa Dembele and Paulinho.