Edinson Cavani lucky to escape red card for blatant elbow on Juve’s Giorgio Chiellini
- March 1, 2013
Not you Edinson, not you!
Napoli’s saintly, divine even, Uruguayan striker was involved in a rare piece of nasty play in his side’s draw with Juventus on Friday night.
Serie A’s top of the table clash was feisty right from the off, with an individual duel heating up between Cavani and Juve’s full-back Giorgio Chiellini.
As can be seen in the pictue (left), Chiellini made it his business to unsettle the normally zen Cavani (he’s never been sent off), pulling his hair and sledging.
Despicable, childish, and little-girlish an act as that was by the Juve defender, there was simply no excusing Cavani’s retaliation.
Moments later, while awaiting a cross into the box, Cavani unleashed a vicious elbow on Chiellini, which knocked defender to the floor.
Then came the real controversy: the incident was seemingly seen by the referee’s assistant, but despite this the Uruguayan was only given a yellow card.
Cavani’s fairplay record remains intact, but his reputation may have taken a dent after this nasty incident.
Watch Edinson Cavani’s elbow on Giorgio Chiellini and subsequent yellow card on the clip below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...