Dutch star Rafael van der Vaart ruled out of the World Cup with a calf injury
After a season of struggle with Hamburg, Rafael van der Vaart has received some bad news today, according to widespread reports in the Dutch press.
Van der Vaart has been ruled out of the World Cup with a calf injury picked up in training on Tuesday.
After 109 appearances for the Holland national team, Louis van Gaal has decided not to take VDV to Brazil due to a left calf injury.
As a result, it now appears that PSV youngster Georginio Wijnaldum will now keep his place in the Holland squad.
With Wesley Sneijder now the undisputed “number 10” in the Dutch first team for the World Cup.
On Tuesday, Louis van Gaal was asked about taking unfit players to the World Cup.
The incoming boss at Manchester United hinted at taking only fully fit players, “because I still have the opportunity to improve their skills…”
Watch Live Stream
- How did Liverpool’s Georginio Wijnaldum pull off this skill in Holland training? (Video)September 6, 2016
- Liverpool’s Gini Wijnaldum goalscoring highlights for Holland v Greece (Video)September 2, 2016
- Former Chelsea boss becomes Holland’s new assistant manager [Telegraaf]August 21, 2016
- The Oranje General passes away. Dutch stars pay respects to Winfried WitjesJuly 25, 2016
- Rafael van der Vaart splits from pregnant partner Sabia Boulahrouz: “I feel like I’ve been raped & left to die”August 12, 2015
- Rafael van der Vaart tells the Mirror leaving Spurs “was the most stupid decision” of his career [Tweets]July 22, 2015
- Rafael van der Vaart leaves Hamburg for Spanish side Real Betis [Video]June 15, 2015
- Arjen Robben is a machine, says ex-teammate Rafael van der VaartFebruary 13, 2015