Dutch football federation release a video calling for gay footballers to ‘come out the closet’
- November 1, 2012
Homosexuality in football is perhaps the biggest taboo in the modern game, but the Dutch football federation has now taken a stand to promote an atmosphere of tolerance in the Beautiful Game.
TV audiences in Holland have been watching a new advert over the past few weeks who’s aim is to encourage more gay footballers to come out the closet… literally.
The commercial captures a classic Sunday league football scene with one big difference: the main character of the advert is filmed running around, showering, and roundly participating in the event whilst moving around inside a closet.
Making sure people understand the commercial loud and clear, the ad ends with the message “Why not come out of the closet? Your team is on your side… Gay? There is nothing queer about it!”
Although the advert is little crass, credit should be showered on the Dutch football federation for taking on homophobia which is undoubtedly endemic throughout world football.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”254299″]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...