Doyen Sports pressure means Marcos Rojo will join Man United from Sporting [Duncan Castles]
Manchester United are linked with a host of players at the moment.
Juan Cuadrado, Daley Blind and Angel Di Maria would all be great additions for Louis van Gaal’s Manchester United squad, which does look a couple of players short as things stand.
In the case of Argentinean defender Marcos Rojo, it looks like Manchester United have a very simple deal on their hands. Far removed from the ones playing out for Cuadrado and Di Maria, for example.
United have offered 20 million euros for Rojo and the player wants to join van Gaal’s side as evidenced by his refusal to train with Sporting Lisbon on Tuesday.
But, there is a far greater reason why Rojo is all set to leave Sporting and its due to his complicated ownership structure.
Duncan Castles picks up the story: “The 24-year-old’s ‘economic rights’ are 75 percent owned by an investment fund, Doyen Sports, who while not directly entitled to enforce the player’s sale have structured their ownership in a manner that allows them significant influence over a transfer.”
Castles: “According to a source close to the deal, should Sporting refuse to sell to United for the €20m offered, the Portuguese club will be contractually bound to pay Doyen 75 percent of the value of the rejected bid. That €15m would have to be paid within a fortnight… the club’s financial position is such that it would be extremely difficult to buy Rojo back from Doyen at that price.”
Once Rojo joins United the third party ownership involved here will likely be largely forgotten. But Doyen Sports could well be one of the big winners of this transfer window.
Doyen Sports had a 33% share in Eliaquim Mangala, bought for 2.65 million euros in 2011. They received 17.5 million euros from Manchester City this week.
Similarly, Doyen Sports also own a third of Steven Defour who is set to leave Porto for Anderlecht in the coming hours…
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal & Man United target Alvaro Morata admits he has “tempting” offers from P...May 31st, 2016
- Manchester United have made a dizzying offer for Monchi [AS]May 31st, 2016
- Sevilla sporting director Monchi set to leave club, linked with Man United [Tweets]May 30th, 2016
- Manchester United have offered Michael Carrick a one-year contract [Guardian]May 30th, 2016
- Jorge Mendes loses three high profile Sporting CP clients in quick succession [Correio da Manha]May 25th, 2016
- Chelsea & Man United are fighting over a new Kia Joorabchian client [A Bola]May 22nd, 2016
- Tottenham preparing bid for Algerian striker & Leicester target Islam Slimani [A Bola]May 18th, 2016
- Spurs tipped to beat Leicester to an Algerian strikerMay 15th, 2016