Dortmund forced to get shirt from club shop due to Sven Bender’s broken nose v Napoli
Sven Bender put in a heroic shift for Borussia Dortmund in their crucial win over Napoli on Tuesday night.
Forced to play in central defence, due to injuries to the likes of Neven Subotic and Mats Hummels, Bender picked up a broken nose, with blood streaming down his face, but refused to come off.
Enigmatic Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp was full of praise for Bender post match and revealed the lengths the Bundesliga side had to go to, in order to ensure he stayed on the pitch.
UEFA rules do not permit blood on a players’ shirt and Bender was forced to change three times during the 3-1 Champions League win over Napoli.
Klopp: “It was important that he (Bender) stayed on because of his performance. It was a great game for him and we had to change his bloodied shirt several times. The last one we got from the club shop.”
Video of Sven Bender with the broken nose, blood streaming down his face and going off to change his shirt is below.
Watch Live Stream
- Borussia Dortmund CEO claims Spanish giant is monitoring Thomas Tuchel [ZDF]October 24, 2016
- Unreal pace: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang sublime solo goal for Dortmund v Sporting (Video)October 18, 2016
- Borussia Dortmund’s Ousmane Dembele voted the 2016 Golden Boy winner [France Football]October 16, 2016
- Aubameyang set for more transfer gossip due to his choice of team on FIFA 17 (video)October 13, 2016
- Gutted! Chile’s Junior Fernandes breaks leg in horror injury, out of the World Cup [video]April 17, 2014
- A horrific ankle break you don’t want to see: Marko Biskupovic (Universidad Catolica) v Santiago WanderersMarch 18, 2014
- Ouch! Thibaut Courtois takes a knee to the headMarch 15, 2014
- DISGRACE! Almeria’s Hélder Barbosa got away with a shocking two footed lunge on Atletico’s Tiago [Video]February 9, 2014