DONE DEAL: Scottish starlet Ryan Gauld moves from Dundee United to Sporting, gets €60m release clause
If you didn’t already know, there is a new star of Scottish football and his name is Ryan Gauld.
Gauld, 18, has completed a headline-stopping move from Dundee United to Sporting Lisbon overnight, in a deal which has seen Sporting slap a €60m release clause over the teenager.
The actual fee of the deal is said be a little over £2 million.
That Gauld has left the SPL for Portugal shouldn’t come as too big a surprise, after the teenager was linked to Real Madrid back in 2013, whilst Manchester United and Liverpool are both said to have sent scouts to watch the young talent at Tannadice last season too.
Gauld made his debut for the Arabs when he was just 16 years and five months old, and last season he scored eight goals in 38 appearances.
Dogged with the moniker as being the “Tartan Messi”, Gauld is probably more like Arsenal midfield Jack Wilshere as he is a neat player with a sweet left foot who is also capable of striking a fine dead-ball.
See how the Portuguese press are reporting Sporting’s acquisition of Ryan Gauld below.
Watch Live Stream
- Dundee United fan Tommy McKay wins Scotland goal of the month (video)December 6, 2016
- Inspirational: Fan with one leg scores a golazo at half time of Dundee United v Dunfermline (Video)November 9, 2016
- Scenes: Dundee United keeper Cammy Bell saves three penalties in 23 minutes (Video)September 12, 2016
- Crazy: Dundee United keeper Cammy Bell saves three first half penalties (video)September 11, 2016
- Ryan Gauld turned down a move to Man United to join Sporting Lisbon instead [A Bola]January 23, 2015
- Luxembourg U21 0 – Scotland U21 3: Sporting’s Ryan Gauld bags a brace [Official highlights]September 9, 2014
- Moyes Back? Best Tweets as Sunderland beat Man United at Old Trafford for 1st time since 1968!May 3, 2014
- Ryan Gauld v St Mirren [Individual highlights]February 10, 2014
- Great story: How a young fan lost it when he met Cristiano Ronaldo in the mixed zone at SportingNovember 23, 2016
- John O’Shea on the night Alex Ferguson decided to sign Cristiano Ronaldo [ESPN]November 21, 2016
- Fernando Santos has one Cristiano Ronaldo regret from their Sporting CP daysNovember 10, 2016
- Arsenal’s Joel Campbell saves Sporting CP in the 96th minute (Video)October 22, 2016