- Manchester City make Koke (Atletico Madrid) & Paul Pogba (Juve) summer transfer targets [MD]
- Chelsea leading Barça & Man United in race to sign Corinthians’ £20m-rated Malcolm Silva [Express]
- Real Madrid players want to face Chelsea in Champions League to shut Mourinho up [MARCA]
- Everton boss Roberto Martinez: ‘Papiss Cisse’s elbow was unacceptable, he went to hurt Coleman’ [Video]
- Newcastle No2 John Carver: ‘I was eating a pie when Alan Pardew asked me to do press conference’
Done Deal! Arsenal sign Colombia goalkeeper David Ospina
— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) July 27, 2014
Arsenal have announced another summer transfer window signing that we all knew was coming: Colombia keeper David Ospina.
The Gunners have reportedly paid around three million pounds to Nice for the custodian, who happens to be James Rodriguez’s brother-in-law.
As ever, Arsenal would only say that the move is for an “undisclosed fee” and on a “long term contract.”
Whether Ospina is Arsenal number one remains to be seen.
All signs point to Wojciech Szczesny starting the season in the Arsenal goal but Ospina undoubtedly has the quality to take over if there is a loss of form or injury.
Arsène Wenger said of the club’s new signing: “David Ospina is an excellent goalkeeper, with good experience and a proven record of performing with Nice and Colombia. He will add strength to our squad and we are very pleased that he will be joining us.”
Nice sent their best wishes to Ospina with a touching Tweet in French, thanking the Colombian for his time at the club.
— OGC Nice (@ogcnice) July 27, 2014
Will we sign the Colombian goalkeeper? I don't know. But Gazidis is little bit cricket fan and is keen for us to sign an Ospina.
— Wenger Knows Best (@wengerknowsbest) July 25, 2014
David Ospina: Only Ralf Fährmann (81.5%) had a better save success in Europe's top 5 leagues last season than Ospina (80.2%) (10+ apps) #AFC
— WhoScored.com (@WhoScored) July 27, 2014
- Updated: July 27, 2014