Dirty Diver: Danny Welbeck cheated his way to a penalty (Manchester United) v Wigan
- September 17, 2012
“He [Welbeck] dived, he dived for the penalty, you’ll see it on the replay. The penalty was as bad a decision as you’re going to see. It is a shocking decision, in many ways you find yourself fighting against a mountain. I’ve come to United three times now, we’ve had three players sent off, we just never seem to be measured in the same manner.” – Roberto Martinez.
Cynics may point out that after getting hammered 4-0 at Old Trafford it would be easy to cast Roberto Martinez’s post match remarks as sour grapes, however the Wigan boss wass pot on when he commented on an early penalty which was awarded to Manchester United.
In the opening minutes of the match, United forward Danny Welbeck went down under Ali Al Habsi’s challenge. At first glance is looked as if the Latics’ keeper may have clipped the strikers back heel, but with the aid of TV replays it was made crystal clear that there was no contact to send Welbeck crashing to the turf.
As it turned out Al Habsi proceeded to turn aside Javier Hernandez’s spot-kick, but with diving such a stain on the Beautiful Game the outcome failed to wipe away the nasty taste Welbeck’s simulation left in the mouth.
Watch Welbeck’s dirty dive over and over again in the GIF below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...