Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid scored the Argentina ’98 FK routine v England for goal v Almeria
What a difference 15 years makes…
In St Etienne, during the 1998 World Cup, Diego Simeone was public enemy number one in Blighty as he contributed to David Beckham being sent off as England crashed out of France 98 in the first knockout round.
Now Simeone is one of the brightest young managerial talents on the planet. Atletico Madrid currently sit top of La Liga after four games and despite losing Radamel Falcao last summer, have scored 14 goals.
After Europa League and Copa del Rey success in consecutive seasons, many would love to see Atletico Madrid challenge for La Liga alongside the dominant two.
Simeone also clearly has a long memory as his Atletico Madrid side utilised a free-kick seen in that Argentina v England epic at World Cup 98 on Saturday.
Tiago made it 3-1 on 64 minutes v Almeria, in an eventual 4-1 victory, from a Gabi pass.
Just as Sebastian Veron teed up Javier Zanetti 15 years ago…
Watch Live Stream
- Incredible video of Cristiano Ronaldo’s rousing half-time speech in CL finalOctober 23, 2016
- Yannick Carrasco gets new Atletico Madrid contract with huge buy-out clauseOctober 21, 2016
- Chelsea linked to an Atletico Madrid midfielder [Sport]October 20, 2016
- Carrasco claims a hat-trick as Atletico Madrid crush Granada 7-1 (Official video)October 16, 2016
- Diego Simeone confirms that his Atletico Madrid contract has been shortened to two years (Video)September 17, 2016
- Diego Simeone has decided to leave Atletico Madrid before his contract expires [El Confidencial]September 7, 2016
- Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone reveals he tried to re-sign Chelsea striker Diego CostaAugust 19, 2016
- Giovanni Simeone is heading to Europe to sign a five-year deal with Genoa [Mundo Deportivo]August 1, 2016