Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid scored the Argentina ’98 FK routine v England for goal v Almeria
- September 15, 2013
What a difference 15 years makes…
In St Etienne, during the 1998 World Cup, Diego Simeone was public enemy number one in Blighty as he contributed to David Beckham being sent off as England crashed out of France 98 in the first knockout round.
Now Simeone is one of the brightest young managerial talents on the planet. Atletico Madrid currently sit top of La Liga after four games and despite losing Radamel Falcao last summer, have scored 14 goals.
After Europa League and Copa del Rey success in consecutive seasons, many would love to see Atletico Madrid challenge for La Liga alongside the dominant two.
Simeone also clearly has a long memory as his Atletico Madrid side utilised a free-kick seen in that Argentina v England epic at World Cup 98 on Saturday.
Tiago made it 3-1 on 64 minutes v Almeria, in an eventual 4-1 victory, from a Gabi pass.
Just as Sebastian Veron teed up Javier Zanetti 15 years ago…
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]