Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid scored the Argentina ’98 FK routine v England for goal v Almeria
What a difference 15 years makes…
In St Etienne, during the 1998 World Cup, Diego Simeone was public enemy number one in Blighty as he contributed to David Beckham being sent off as England crashed out of France 98 in the first knockout round.
Now Simeone is one of the brightest young managerial talents on the planet. Atletico Madrid currently sit top of La Liga after four games and despite losing Radamel Falcao last summer, have scored 14 goals.
After Europa League and Copa del Rey success in consecutive seasons, many would love to see Atletico Madrid challenge for La Liga alongside the dominant two.
Simeone also clearly has a long memory as his Atletico Madrid side utilised a free-kick seen in that Argentina v England epic at World Cup 98 on Saturday.
Tiago made it 3-1 on 64 minutes v Almeria, in an eventual 4-1 victory, from a Gabi pass.
Just as Sebastian Veron teed up Javier Zanetti 15 years ago…
Watch Live Stream
- Diego Costa appears to announce his Chelsea departure on InstagramJuly 28, 2016
- Sevilla sign Vietto on loan from Atletico with option to buy, Gameiro deal being discussed [DDS]July 25, 2016
- Tottenham v Atletico Madrid: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-07-29July 22, 2016
- Napoli president De Laurentiis hints at Arsenal offer for Gonzalo HiguainJuly 20, 2016
- Diego Simeone rejected approach from PSG because he wants to stay with Atletico [Di Marzio]June 4, 2016
- Diego Simeone believes what Atletico Madrid are doing will go down in history [Sport]May 6, 2016
- Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone slaps one of his staff against Bayern Munich (Video)May 3, 2016
- Diego Simeone’s crafty plan gets around his Atletico touchline ban v Rayo VallecanoApril 30, 2016