Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid scored the Argentina ’98 FK routine v England for goal v Almeria
What a difference 15 years makes…
In St Etienne, during the 1998 World Cup, Diego Simeone was public enemy number one in Blighty as he contributed to David Beckham being sent off as England crashed out of France 98 in the first knockout round.
Now Simeone is one of the brightest young managerial talents on the planet. Atletico Madrid currently sit top of La Liga after four games and despite losing Radamel Falcao last summer, have scored 14 goals.
After Europa League and Copa del Rey success in consecutive seasons, many would love to see Atletico Madrid challenge for La Liga alongside the dominant two.
Simeone also clearly has a long memory as his Atletico Madrid side utilised a free-kick seen in that Argentina v England epic at World Cup 98 on Saturday.
Tiago made it 3-1 on 64 minutes v Almeria, in an eventual 4-1 victory, from a Gabi pass.
Just as Sebastian Veron teed up Javier Zanetti 15 years ago…
Watch Live Stream
- Tragic: ISIS killed 12 more Real Madrid fans in Iraq during Champions League final [AS]May 29th, 2016
- Real Madrid stars go on open top bus parade in Madrid to celebrate UCL win (Video & Pics)May 29th, 2016
- Gareth Bale on Real Madrid’s La Undecima Champions League victory (Video)May 29th, 2016
- Incredible scenes: Juanfran apologises to Atletico Madrid fans after CL final (Video)May 29th, 2016
- Diego Simeone believes what Atletico Madrid are doing will go down in history [Sport]May 6th, 2016
- Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone slaps one of his staff against Bayern Munich (Video)May 3rd, 2016
- Diego Simeone’s crafty plan gets around his Atletico touchline ban v Rayo VallecanoApril 30th, 2016
- Diego Simeone given 3-game touchline ban for Malaga ballboy incidentApril 27th, 2016