Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid scored the Argentina ’98 FK routine v England for goal v Almeria
What a difference 15 years makes…
In St Etienne, during the 1998 World Cup, Diego Simeone was public enemy number one in Blighty as he contributed to David Beckham being sent off as England crashed out of France 98 in the first knockout round.
Now Simeone is one of the brightest young managerial talents on the planet. Atletico Madrid currently sit top of La Liga after four games and despite losing Radamel Falcao last summer, have scored 14 goals.
After Europa League and Copa del Rey success in consecutive seasons, many would love to see Atletico Madrid challenge for La Liga alongside the dominant two.
Simeone also clearly has a long memory as his Atletico Madrid side utilised a free-kick seen in that Argentina v England epic at World Cup 98 on Saturday.
Tiago made it 3-1 on 64 minutes v Almeria, in an eventual 4-1 victory, from a Gabi pass.
Just as Sebastian Veron teed up Javier Zanetti 15 years ago…
Watch Live Stream
- Diego Simeone’s brilliant anti-Juventus Instagram post after Giovanni Simeone braceNovember 28, 2016
- Man United fans get excited as Antoine Griezmann produces another transfer hint [Telefoot]November 27, 2016
- Man United plan to sign one of the best defenders in the world this January [ESPN]November 27, 2016
- Antoine Griezmann admits he had doubts about Atletico future in summer [GQ]November 26, 2016
- Diego Simeone’s son, Giovanni, scored a brace for Genoa in 3-1 win over Juventus (Video)November 28, 2016
- Diego Simeone gave Gabi a stern talking to after ‘fragile Koke’ comments [AS]November 15, 2016
- Diego Simeone spotted in Milan as Inter rumours swirlNovember 12, 2016
- The two Diegos: Chelsea’s Costa hangs out with Atletico boss Simeone [Instagram]November 8, 2016