- Villarreal youth Álvaro Cruz with beautiful golazo [Video]
- Top 10 goalkeeper saves from first-half of Bundesliga season [Official video]
- Gary Neville on footballing ability of Sky pundit & Arsenal legend Thierry Henry [Video]
- David Moyes considering bring Liverpool’s Emre Can on loan to Real Sociedad [AS]
- Theo Zidane (Zinedine’s 3rd son) scores cracking goal for Real Madrid v Espanyol
Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid scored the Argentina ’98 FK routine v England for goal v Almeria
What a difference 15 years makes…
In St Etienne, during the 1998 World Cup, Diego Simeone was public enemy number one in Blighty as he contributed to David Beckham being sent off as England crashed out of France 98 in the first knockout round.
Now Simeone is one of the brightest young managerial talents on the planet. Atletico Madrid currently sit top of La Liga after four games and despite losing Radamel Falcao last summer, have scored 14 goals.
After Europa League and Copa del Rey success in consecutive seasons, many would love to see Atletico Madrid challenge for La Liga alongside the dominant two.
Simeone also clearly has a long memory as his Atletico Madrid side utilised a free-kick seen in that Argentina v England epic at World Cup 98 on Saturday.
Tiago made it 3-1 on 64 minutes v Almeria, in an eventual 4-1 victory, from a Gabi pass.
Just as Sebastian Veron teed up Javier Zanetti 15 years ago…
- Updated: September 15, 2013