Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid pull off Argentina 98 free-kick again, to beat Porto
- October 2, 2013
In early September we posted about how Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid pulled off a clever free-kick in their La Liga win over Almeria.
Since that time, Simeone’s stock has risen immeasurably as Atletico Madrid have won all their La Liga matches, including another famous victory at the Bernabeu last Saturday night.
Whether Atletico Madrid can challenge Real Madrid and Barcelona in La Liga and the big powers in the Champions League remains to be seen but it should be a great watch to see if the Rojiblancos can give it a right good go.
On Tuesday, they pulled off another hugely impressive win, coming from behind to beat Porto in Portugal.
The winner, on 86 minutes, scored by Arda Turan, was another replica of Argentina’s 1998 World Cup free-kick against England, which of course was a game that Simeone played in.
Arguably, Porto should have been aware of what might have been coming and we wonder if Atletico Madrid can pull off this free-kick again this season or in the future at all.
Compare Argentina’s free-kick v England to Atletico Madrid’s winner at Porto on the videos below.
[gthumb id=”360456″ size=”large” autoplay=”1″]
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]