Diego Maradona wins 1st match as Deportivo Riestra’s spiritual coach, takes his dad to the game
- August 20, 2013
Is Diego Maradona the world’s first ever spiritual coach?
The maddest managerial appointment of the summer appears to belong to Argentine footballing god Diego Maradona, after Maradona agreed to be a part-time consultant for an Argentine fifth-tier side Deportivo Riestra last week.
Maradona, 52, agreed to take up the role at the tiny Argentinean amateur club as the former Argentina national team coach was convinced into taking the position by his lawyer Victor Stinfale, who has close connections with a sponsor of the Primera D institution.
As the club’s spiritual coach Maradona’s role at the club seems completely ceremonial, and importantly Maradona’s new job does not carry tactical responsibilities. Instead Maradona’s duty is to inspire the club’s playing staff as they strive for a successful 2013-14 season, and last weekend things got off to a flying start.
Accompanied by his rarely seen father, Maradona arrived at minnows Deportivo Riestra amid a media storm which has surely never befallen the club beforehand.
As to Maradona’s impact, Deportivo Riestra appeared to get a boost from Diego’s presence at the match turning around a 1-nil deficit to win the game 2-1.
After the match the Deportivo Riestra players lifted Maradona on their shoulders in celebration.
Footage and pictures of Diego Maradona’s first match as Deportivo Riestra’s spiritual coach can be seen below.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...