- Leo Messi writes tribute for ex Arsenal & Barcelona forward Thierry Henry on Facebook
- Brendan Rodgers praises Raheem Sterling & says Liverpool don’t have world class forwards [Video]
- Tottenham fans sing about Wembley after beating Newcastle 4-0 in QF [Video]
- Southampton preparing January move for Dutch Galatasaray star Wesley Sneijder [Mirror]
- Roy Keane confronted ex-Man United man Tom Cleverley over Aston Villa bust-up exit rumours [Sun]
Diego Maradona wins 1st match as Deportivo Riestra’s spiritual coach, takes his dad to the game
Is Diego Maradona the world’s first ever spiritual coach?
The maddest managerial appointment of the summer appears to belong to Argentine footballing god Diego Maradona, after Maradona agreed to be a part-time consultant for an Argentine fifth-tier side Deportivo Riestra last week.
Maradona, 52, agreed to take up the role at the tiny Argentinean amateur club as the former Argentina national team coach was convinced into taking the position by his lawyer Victor Stinfale, who has close connections with a sponsor of the Primera D institution.
As the club’s spiritual coach Maradona’s role at the club seems completely ceremonial, and importantly Maradona’s new job does not carry tactical responsibilities. Instead Maradona’s duty is to inspire the club’s playing staff as they strive for a successful 2013-14 season, and last weekend things got off to a flying start.
Accompanied by his rarely seen father, Maradona arrived at minnows Deportivo Riestra amid a media storm which has surely never befallen the club beforehand.
As to Maradona’s impact, Deportivo Riestra appeared to get a boost from Diego’s presence at the match turning around a 1-nil deficit to win the game 2-1.
After the match the Deportivo Riestra players lifted Maradona on their shoulders in celebration.
Footage and pictures of Diego Maradona’s first match as Deportivo Riestra’s spiritual coach can be seen below.
- Updated: August 20, 2013