Didier Drogba returns! Chelsea resign the striker on a one year deal [Pictures]
Didier Drogba has officially rejoined Chelsea on a one year deal.
Sensational speculation had been doing the rounds for the last week that Drogba would return to the Blues and link back up with old boss Jose Mourinho.
Drogba had been away for just two years; leaving the club after bringing Champions League glory home with a winning penalty spot-kick against Bayern. During spells in China and Turkey, he scored 28 goals in 64 games.
The Chelsea website gushed about a legend coming home: When he came to the end of his previous contract in 2012 it was only weeks after he had stroked the ball from the penalty spot into the Bayern Munich net to place Chelsea on top of the European summit for the first time.
His earlier equalising header in that Champions League final was his 157th goal in 341 appearances, a total placing him fourth in the club’s all-time highest-scorer list.
On signing his contract, Drogba said: ‘It was an easy decision – I couldn’t turn down the opportunity to work with Jose again. Everyone knows the special relationship I have with this club and it has always felt like home to me.
‘My desire to win is still the same and I look forward to the opportunity to help this team. I am excited for this next chapter of my career.’
Jose Mourinho said: ‘He’s coming because he’s one of the best strikers in Europe. I know his personality very well and I know if he comes back he’s not protected by history or what he’s done for this club previously. He is coming with the mentality to make more history.’
His 34 goals in European competition remains a Chelsea record, as do his nine strikes in nine cup finals.
Watch Live Stream
- Kurt Zouma posts video of David Luiz joking around at Chelsea trainingDecember 7, 2016
- Chelsea legend Gianfranco Zola talks through that goal against Norwich (video)December 7, 2016
- Antonio Conte shows off great Tekkers in Chelsea training (video)December 6, 2016
- The secret transfers of Romanian wonderkid Cristian Manea & his fake move to ChelseaDecember 6, 2016
- Chelsea legend Didier Drogba Drogba slams the Daily MailDecember 2, 2016
- Chelsea legend Didier Drogba confirms his MLS retirement (Video)November 23, 2016
- Chelsea legend Didier Drogba refuses to play for Montreal ImpactOctober 17, 2016
- Chelsea legend Didier trolls Theo Walcott on social media after Arsenal’s winSeptember 25, 2016