Didier Drogba returns! Chelsea resign the striker on a one year deal [Pictures]
- July 25, 2014
Didier Drogba has officially rejoined Chelsea on a one year deal.
Sensational speculation had been doing the rounds for the last week that Drogba would return to the Blues and link back up with old boss Jose Mourinho.
Drogba had been away for just two years; leaving the club after bringing Champions League glory home with a winning penalty spot-kick against Bayern. During spells in China and Turkey, he scored 28 goals in 64 games.
The Chelsea website gushed about a legend coming home: When he came to the end of his previous contract in 2012 it was only weeks after he had stroked the ball from the penalty spot into the Bayern Munich net to place Chelsea on top of the European summit for the first time.
His earlier equalising header in that Champions League final was his 157th goal in 341 appearances, a total placing him fourth in the club’s all-time highest-scorer list.
On signing his contract, Drogba said: ‘It was an easy decision – I couldn’t turn down the opportunity to work with Jose again. Everyone knows the special relationship I have with this club and it has always felt like home to me.
‘My desire to win is still the same and I look forward to the opportunity to help this team. I am excited for this next chapter of my career.’
Jose Mourinho said: ‘He’s coming because he’s one of the best strikers in Europe. I know his personality very well and I know if he comes back he’s not protected by history or what he’s done for this club previously. He is coming with the mentality to make more history.’
His 34 goals in European competition remains a Chelsea record, as do his nine strikes in nine cup finals.
- Chelsea agree personal terms with Asmir Begovic to replace Petr Cech [Di Marzio]
- First Interview: Petr Cech believes his experience can help Arsenal win the title [Video]
- Kuwaiti Chelsea fan burns Petr Cech’s shirt after keeper’s move to Arsenal ...
- Chelsea fan trolls Petr Čech’s Wikipedia page following move to Arsenal
- Snake: Angry Chelsea fans turn on new Arsenal keeper Petr Cech [Tweets]
- Petr Cech & Theo Walcott share banter on Twitter after Arsenal move
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi