Did Gareth Bale take a dive? (Liverpool 0 – Tottenham 0)
- February 8, 2012
Nine minutes into the second half on Monday evening, in Tottenham’s 0-0 draw at Liverpool, Gareth Bale was booked for diving.
In Bale’s rapid rise to stardom it is almost impossible to pinpoint any evidence that the Welsh winger likes to take a tumble, in fact, the only video available is this dive against Real Madrid in the Champions League quarter-final second leg last season.
Despite defending resiliently and retaining 48% of possession, Bale was Spurs’ most likely goal scorer and undoubtedly had the best chance against Kenny Dalglish’s side at Anfield with a late one-on-one stopped by the legs of Pepe Reina.
With Emmanuel Adebayor struggling on his own up front, Tottenham missed not only the tactical nous of Harry Redknapp on the touchline but also two of their best attacking players in Rafael van der Vaart and Aaron Lennon.
Bale’s trademark lung bursting runs from deep were effectively the best chance of Spurs eking out a 1-0 win and Liverpool seemed aware of this.
The Welshman was left raging for being booked early in the second half, on the gif above and then was the player fouled as Martin Skrtel picked up a yellow card later on in the half.
The Spurs number three has been booked just three times this season and despite some protestations from Liverpool fans and players, Bale has not yet picked up a reputation for diving.
Related link: Harry Redknapp: ‘tax evasion trial was horrendous’.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi