- Diego Simeone says Barcelona’s Leo Messi is better than Ronaldo, Bale & Benzema combined
- Neymar at the double as Barcelona win 3-2 at Atletico Madrid [Highlights]
- Porto star Jackson Martinez nets Zlatan-esque backheel volley golazo [Vine & GIF]
- Troll! Juanfran showed Barcelona’s Neymar 7 fingers, referencing 7-1 loss to Germany [Video]
- Christian Eriksen (Spurs) inch perfect free kick golazo v Sheffield United [GIF]
Did Gareth Bale deserve a booking for diving against Liverpool?
“I thought I got clipped a little bit. Sometimes it happens. You have just got to get on with it.” – Gareth Bale.
Along with Liverpool’s Luis Suarez, Tottenham winger Gareth Bale is probably the player most often accused of diving in the Premier League.
And, Bale has previous for picking up a booking against Liverpool for exactly this, the last time the two sides met in the Premier League in February.
On Wednesday evening, Spurs’ Welsh winger was once again booked for diving during an epic personal match that included a brilliant assist, a free-kick goal scored with Cristiano Ronaldo-esque technique and then a comical own goal.
But it was the decision by referee Phil Dowd to book Bale for a dive just outside the Liverpool box that had many calling the Welsh flyer a dirty diver.
Again, it was a clash with Dan Agger but the Danish defender does seem to clip Bale who is running at high speed.
Liverpool fans have since accused Match of the Day of double standards as their highlights of the Tottenham victory did not include this booking for Bale and since any simulation from Luis Suarez is usually heavily focused upon.
Presenter Gary Lineker Tweeted this morning: “A word on Bale’s so called dive. Mistakenly not in edit last night but on this occasion was clearly a foul and an awful decision.”
GIFs above and below of the Gareth Bale booking for diving. Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments!
- Updated: November 29, 2012