Did Gareth Bale deserve a booking for diving against Liverpool?
- November 29, 2012
“I thought I got clipped a little bit. Sometimes it happens. You have just got to get on with it.” – Gareth Bale.
Along with Liverpool’s Luis Suarez, Tottenham winger Gareth Bale is probably the player most often accused of diving in the Premier League.
And, Bale has previous for picking up a booking against Liverpool for exactly this, the last time the two sides met in the Premier League in February.
On Wednesday evening, Spurs’ Welsh winger was once again booked for diving during an epic personal match that included a brilliant assist, a free-kick goal scored with Cristiano Ronaldo-esque technique and then a comical own goal.
But it was the decision by referee Phil Dowd to book Bale for a dive just outside the Liverpool box that had many calling the Welsh flyer a dirty diver.
Again, it was a clash with Dan Agger but the Danish defender does seem to clip Bale who is running at high speed.
Liverpool fans have since accused Match of the Day of double standards as their highlights of the Tottenham victory did not include this booking for Bale and since any simulation from Luis Suarez is usually heavily focused upon.
Presenter Gary Lineker Tweeted this morning: “A word on Bale’s so called dive. Mistakenly not in edit last night but on this occasion was clearly a foul and an awful decision.”
GIFs above and below of the Gareth Bale booking for diving. Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments!
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...