Del Bosque not convinced David Villa has played his last game for Spain, despite MLS move [MARCA]
- June 23, 2014
There was some confusion around David Villa’s substitution against Australia today, with the NYC-bound striker both shocked and distraught that he was hauled off, and broke down in tears on the bench.
The subsequent feeling was that Del Bosque lacked tact in not letting the Asturian finish his last game for Spain, but said post-match that he didn’t realize it was Villa’s final game.
Which it wasn’t necessarily – the thing is, the record goalscorer hasn’t actually retired from international football.
Villa said: I’d keep playing for Spain at 55 years of age, but you have to be realistic.
I’ve always said I’ll keep coming to play for Spain as long as the boss wants me, but I’ve decided to go to the MLS, which means I won’t be playing competitively for a number of months (until Feb 2015).
But even at that, if the Mister feels he can still call on me, I’d be delighted.”
And after his display today, doing more in some 75 minutes than Diego Costa did in 180, don’t write of El Guaje just yet.
- Diego Costa & Juan Mata recalled to Spain squad
- Chelsea’s Diego Costa met up with Atletico chief exec Miguel Angel Gil in Ibiza, ...
- Tunnel Cam: Diego Costa gave Fernandinho a death stare at half time of Man City v Chels...
- Chelsea fans slate Diego Costa for spending Man City game diving and fighting (Videos)
- Diego Costa hits Ibiza immediately after Chelsea’s draw with Swansea, hangs out w...
- Diego Costa takes part in Chelsea training on eve of Premier League opener v Swansea
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...