DC United keeper Bill Hamid tweets from the locker room minutes after getting sent off against the New York Red Bulls
- November 9, 2012
Great leap.. GREAT LEAP.. He jumped right over me.. Hey Kyle martini please please please see your optometrist tmrw..
— Bill Hamid (@BillHamid28) November 9, 2012
— Steven Goff (@SoccerInsider) November 9, 2012
The first Tweet, although now deleted from the micro-blogging website, is likely to get the DC United keeper in plenty of trouble.
The team from the American capital dumped glamour MLS outfit New York Red Bulls out of the MLS Cup on Thursday night with a 1-0 win in the Big Apple in an absolute ripper of a football match.
Things began to get wild in the 68th minute when a stunning series of passes from New York cut through the entire United team, only for DC goalie Bill Hamid to collect his marching orders when home forward Kenny Cooper went down in the box to win a penalty.
But should it have been a spot-kick?
Hamid, on receiving the red card, lost the plot slightly as the stopper furiously vented his belief that Cooper had taken a dive in the area. TV replays failed to accurately back up the keeper’s complaints, but Hamid nevertheless went straight on Twitter after returning to the locker room to slam the decision (and TV pundit Kyle Martini) in a hugely public manner.
As fate would have it, New York missed the penalty when Cooper was forced to take a retaken penalty which was saved by DC’s sub goalie Joe Willis on the second attempt. The Red Bulls were later punished as Nick DeLeon scored in the 88th minute to earn the visitors the win.
Watch Bill Hamid’s red card incident below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...