David Villa posts emotional Instagram message after scoring (his last?) goal for Spain v Australia
It was an emotional day for David Villa, as he scored his 58th goal for Spain in La Roja’s 3-0 win over Australia, in what he feels is probably his last ever game.
When he was (surprisingly) taken off, Villa broke down in tears on the bench (gif below).
He hasn’t officially retired, nor has Del Bosque said anything about no longer counting on him, but Villa feels that by moving to the MLS, and consequently being out of action for several months before the American league starts, his chances of coming back are slim.
Villa posted the above picture of himself kissing the shirt, a reflection of how much the Spain cause means to him, adding the message:
Thank you for all the love you have shown me! I’m always so proud to have played and scored for @sefutbol in a World Cup. It’s sad we couldn’t get further.’
Watch Live Stream
- Andrea Pirlo sets up David Villa for NYCFC goal v Columbus Crew (video)August 14, 2016
- David Villa berated Frank Lampard on the pitch after a New York City FC win (Video)June 19, 2016
- Amazing Andrea Pirlo assist + David Vila gorgeous finish = NYCFC goal (Video)May 30, 2016
- Legends combine: Andrea Pirlo assists for David Villa’s acrobatic finish for New York City v Whitecaps (Video)April 30, 2016
- Lallana & Vardy set up England, but Spain salvaged a 2-2 draw (Official Video)November 16, 2016
- Cristiano Ronaldo jokes about Spain’s mannequin challenge [Instagram]November 16, 2016
- Eric Dier v Ander Herrera: Spurs & Man United fans argue over which team is harder [Tweets]November 16, 2016
- Spain do the mannequin challenge in Wembley dressing room after England game (Video)November 16, 2016