David Villa was open to an Arsenal move last January but Barcelona refused to let him go [Canal+]
- December 13, 2013
David Villa was interviewed by Canal+ on Thursday night, and the Altetico Madrid striker revealed just how close he came to joining Arsenal 12 months ago.
Villa, Spain’s record goalscorer, explained in his interview the he was open to a move to join Arsene Wenger’s men last winter, however the Catalans refused to let him go at that stage.
Arsenal’s offer was very good for the club and great for me, but they (Barcelona) did not deem it feasible for me to leave at that time. I was told that I was needed.
I’m happy (that I joined Atletico) because my goals and performance on the field have helped the team to achieve their goals, because after all, as you know, I think more collective than individual.
The club has always shown me great affection, and fulfilled their promise to sell me in the summer. I have only words of gratitude for Barca.
David Villa join Atletico in July for €5.1 million and, with 8 goals in 15 games in La Liga, he has lifted the Rojiblancos into second place in the Spanish top flight.
- Arsenal’s Mathieu Flamini is talking to Bastia about a move [Eurosport]
- Raheem Sterling tops list of 20 most valuable youngsters ft. Man United & Arsenal ...
- No Sh*t Sherlock: Sky Sports rank Fergie 1st, Wenger 2nd in Best PL Manager study [Chart]
- Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil picks his Ultimate XI ft. 7 Real Madrid teammates & Ang...
- Ronald Koeman admits that Man United & Arsenal target Morgan Schneiderlin missed t...
- William Carvalho isn’t joining Arsenal, as Sporting boss Jorge Jesus says midfiel...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi