- Brendan Rodgers slammed after Villa defeat; Liverpool fans want Jurgen Klopp [Best Tweets]
- Kazuyoshi Miura (48) scores second goal of the season in Japanese 2nd tier [Video]
- The best Tweets as Aston Villa beat Liverpool 2-1 to reach the FA Cup final
- Steven Gerrard slammed by Liverpool fans after FA Cup defeat to Aston Villa [Best Tweets]
- Michael Owen slated hard on Twitter during first half of Aston Villa v Liverpool [Best Tweets]
David Villa was open to an Arsenal move last January but Barcelona refused to let him go [Canal+]
- December 13, 2013
David Villa was interviewed by Canal+ on Thursday night, and the Altetico Madrid striker revealed just how close he came to joining Arsenal 12 months ago.
Villa, Spain’s record goalscorer, explained in his interview the he was open to a move to join Arsene Wenger’s men last winter, however the Catalans refused to let him go at that stage.
Arsenal’s offer was very good for the club and great for me, but they (Barcelona) did not deem it feasible for me to leave at that time. I was told that I was needed.
I’m happy (that I joined Atletico) because my goals and performance on the field have helped the team to achieve their goals, because after all, as you know, I think more collective than individual.
The club has always shown me great affection, and fulfilled their promise to sell me in the summer. I have only words of gratitude for Barca.
David Villa join Atletico in July for €5.1 million and, with 8 goals in 15 games in La Liga, he has lifted the Rojiblancos into second place in the Spanish top flight.