David Moyes says Man United “need five or six world-class players” to win the Champions League
As Manchester United’s odds on winning the Premier League are lengthened, following a surprise 2-1 home defeat to West Brom, quotes from David Moyes appearing in the Sunday papers are unlikely to placate angry fans of the Premier League champions.
After the Old Trafford loss to the Baggies, Moyes is quoted as saying he feels Manchester United are a long way from challenging the likes of Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Real Madrid in the Champions League.
Which begs the question: Why did Manchester United not sign any world class players in the summer?
Moyes is widely quoted saying: “To win the Champions League, you need five or six world-class players. Look at Bayern Munich, they have it. Look at Barcelona, who had it in the past and Real Madrid, who have maybe got it now. That’s the level you have to be at to win it. We’ve not got that yet but what we have got is experience.”
Alex Ferguson’s successor added: “The job when I took over was always going to be that we’d have to make changes and improve as we go along.”
David Moyes’ post-match interview after the West Brom defeat is on the video below.
Watch Live Stream
- David Moyes: I wanted to bring Toni Kroos to Man United [Times]June 26, 2016
- Mourinho took less than a minute of being Manchester United boss to troll Van Gaal (Video)May 27, 2016
- Everton fans don’t want David Moyes to come back, start extremely unsentimental hashtag [Tweets]May 24, 2016
- Ex-Man Utd boss David Moyes speaks about being favourite for the Celtic job (Video)April 20, 2016
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic & Anthony Martial pose beside each other for Manchester United’s 3rd Kit LaunchJuly 29, 2016
- Manchester United negotiating with Monaco for right-back Fabinho [Globoesporte]July 29, 2016
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic excited to make Manchester United debut in Sweden (Video)July 29, 2016
- Paul Pogba’s agent Mino Raiola insists there’s no deal between Man United & Juventus [Twitter]July 29, 2016