David De Gea wonder save v Sunderland compared to Schmeichel v Newcastle
- October 6, 2013
“He’s got to look at the ball, follow the ball and he has to readjust and come back. This is for me one of the best saves I’ve ever seen in the Premier League. And it can prove to be one of the most important moments as well. That could be the kickstart… This is six games into a new season under a new manager. If you go 2-0 down there, they could have lost the game. It’s an important save.” – Peter Schmeichel.
“It was an incredible save. We had been playing quite well but at 1-0 down they managed to spring a few counter attacks on us and David made an incredible save. I said it at half time that David De Gea might have kept us in this game with that save.” – David Moyes.
Whilst Adnan Januzaj has taken the plaudits for an excellent full debut two-goal haul for Manchester United at Sunderland, David De Gea is also rightly earning plenty of praise for his stunning save from Emanuele Giaccherini.
The quotes above do it plenty of justice with Manchester United legend Peter Schmeichel pointing out its technical brilliance and David Moyes the timing, in terms of the 90 minute display at Sunderland.
For Schmeichel to say it was one of the “best saves I’ve ever seen in the Premier League” means it can be compared to some of his own and many have been quick to cite his save at Newcastle in March 1996.
Compare the two awesome Manchester United saves on the GIF and video below.
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]