David Cameron backs Tottenham fans who call themselves “Yids”, says its not hate speech [Jewish Chronicle]
- September 17, 2013
The London Jewish Chronicle have claimed an exclusive on Thursday, drawing British Prime Minister David Cameron head first into the debate over whether Tottenham fans should be entitle to use the word “Yids”.
Despite strong campaigning from the FA and Jewish groups to ban the word Yids from football, the British Prime Minister doesn’t believe the term is a cut an dry case.
David Cameron fleshed out the grey area to the Jewish Chronicle saying:
You have to think of the mens rea. There’s a difference between Spurs fans self-describing themselves as Yids and someone calling someone a Yid as an insult.
You have to be motivated by hate. Hate speech should be prosecuted — but only when it’s motivated by hate.
Mr. Cameron’s comments challenge new guidance issued last week by the FA which suggested that fans using the term could be liable to criminal charges.
Last Saturday it took just three minutes for White Hart Lane to reverberate to chants of “Yiddo,” “Yid Army” and “we’ll sing what we want!”
Moreover, when Christian Eriksen’s departed from the fray against Norwich, the young Dane was greeted with “Yiddo” chants, and a video of that can be seen below.
- Man United make ‘direct contact’ with Tottenham in their bid to land £40m H...
- Harry Kane’s best 2014-15 Spurs goals recreated to perfection on FIFA 15 [Video]
- Sevilla announce agreement to sign Spurs target Yevhen Konoplyanka
- Spurs fans will love this picture of Harry Kane & Christian Eriksen in New York [T...
- Spurs target Yevhen Konoplyanka in negotiations with Atletico Madrid [Mundo Deportivo]
- Daniel Levy to fly to Madrid as Spurs close in on Atletico defender Toby Alderweireld [...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi